camera testing

everything on these cameras got taken care of. shutter retime, seals, everything.

here a scan that I just got back. taken outside of course, Kodak gold color 200, shot at iso 200, f/8 and 1/250

it is a more extreme example but its shows the issue.

We need more info on this example. Like what frame is this from the roll? If it is the first frame then the white area is over exposed and could be the leader of the roll which will be clear when processed. Try exposure #10 and let us know. BTW, if you have examples that look like they weren’t an accidental shutter release, they would be helpful too.

very last 3 shots on the roll... cant get simpler then that.

Okay so which direction doe the shutter curtain travel, horizontally or vertically?

Because based on your one scan, part of the frame is way over exposed, to the point of zero detail. Unless your lab accidentally exposed the film or the cine processor has a light leak it would point to the camera. You could send a unexposed roll to the lab for testing, it should come back completely black when scanned.

Never leave the film leader hanging out for the lab guys to simply pullout when processing, make them crack open the canister. Otherwise, expect the film to get scratches from dirt getting caught in the fibres in the light baffle of the canister.

If you have a horizontal travel focal plane shutter, and you might, it looks to me from your scan like the shutter is staying open at either the beginning or the end of its travel. Your scan looks tremendously Overexposed on the left side. That white area and that transitional area of orange looks to me like a shutter malfunction. EVen though you might have had the cameras worked on, that there's no guarantee that the repairs were performed by a qualified and accomplished technician.

according to internet FTB has horizontal travelling shutter.

I have sent in unexposed rolls. The negatives came back undamaged. nothing strange to them. And they were color, and I believe they solid black

Take picture of the film strip on a lightbox, and show it to us.
Most of the time, this will show us info that a single frame image will not display (fyi, you can get a lightbox app for the ipad)

upload_2020-1-12_14-24-44.png

Alright then, what you have is a malfunctioning shutter curtain, it is either dragging on opening or bouncing on closure. This may not be fixable depending on the parts required but I would return it to the repair shop with negatives as evidence.

You can see which way the shutter travels and may indeed see the malfunction by performing a simple test. Put a white piece of paper on the film rails, big enough to be held in place by the pressure plate when you close the back. Remove the lens, hook up a flash via sync cord on low power and point it at the lens mount. Start at Bulb and work your way up to your flash sync speed, go over your sync if you want to see why the sync speed is important. You should see a full 24x36 white piece of paper when the shutter trips. You will also see which direction your shutter curtain travels when fired. If you see any delay from the first curtain or bounce from the second curtain, you have discovered the problem. It may be more evident at certain shutter speeds so starting at Bulb is beneficial and the flash gives you a nice crisp reveal. You could also use a strong continuous light source(LED flashlight) for higher than sync speeds.

Most reactions

Back