Camera Upgrade

tulla4122

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New to this forum and I am enjoying it. I am planing a trip to Washington D.C. this winter and want to upgrade my camera for the trip. I currently have a Nikon D40. I am looking at either the D90 or the D300 unless someone can offer suggestions on other options in the Nikon realm. Thank you for the comments.

First of all, why are you looking to upgrade? It's hard to suggest anything without knowing your reason or what you want out of it.

D90 or D300s (both have video), skip the D300 in my opinion.

For what it's worth, I have the D90 and it's incredible.

i agree with noyze...d300s over d300 all day.

but like someone else asked...why the need for an upgrade?
maybe invest in glass instead.
what about the d40 is limiting you?

The main reason for upgrading is that the D40 is somewhat limited in the type of lense you can use. I don't own a large variety of " glass " but eventually would like to include some nice pieces as I begin to get more confidence in my camera skills. I have rented lenses to experiment with and some that I would like to rent are not compatable with the D40. I do agree with the premise of investing in better optics but would like to own a camera that allows me the best possible room for expansion at a mid level range...does that clarify things a bit?

The main reason for upgrading is that the D40 is somewhat limited in the type of lense you can use. I don't own a large variety of " glass " but eventually would like to include some nice pieces as I begin to get more confidence in my camera skills. I have rented lenses to experiment with and some that I would like to rent are not compatable with the D40. I do agree with the premise of investing in better optics but would like to own a camera that allows me the best possible room for expansion at a mid level range...does that clarify things a bit?
Actually, those lenses are compatable with your D40. Some you would have to manually focus or manually meter, but they all mount and make images just fine. To have AF with the majority of Nikon lenses you need at least the D90.

So, what I am hearing is that you want a Canon...

eh...thats what i heard... :)

fwiw....the d300 was top of my list when i upgraded from my rebel xsi/450d. as i wanted to pair whatever i got with a great lens i ended up not getting it because it stretched the budget too far. hear nothing but great things from the d90 as well.

I've had my D90 a week now,IT'S GREAT!! even accepts an old 600mm iv'e had from the 80's

You would probably be well served by the D90. The D300/s is a great body but it is quite a bit more money. Unless you have the money to spend, you might want to invest in the D90 and a new lens vs. buying the D300/s.

Most reactions

Back