Camera/lens selection for backcountry trips

ztm91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am pretty inexperienced in photography. I only have experience with shooting some macro photography of flies I tie for fly fishing. Currently I have a canon T2i and am looking to upgrade. I enjoy getting out in the backcountry and spend anywhere from 2-7 nights at a time hiking and camping.

I am looking for input on a camera body, a lens for landscape photography, and a lens for wildlife photography. Durability, water resistance, and weight are certainly critical factors for me as the gear may be exposed to a wide range of conditions and will be carried for dozens of miles on a trip. I primarily would like to shoot landscape and larger wildlife such as deer, elk, moose, bison, and bears. I will have a budget of around $5,000.

Any advice or input would be much appreciated!

I am pretty inexperienced in photography. I only have experience with shooting some macro photography of flies I tie for fly fishing. Currently I have a canon T2i and am looking to upgrade. I enjoy getting out in the backcountry and spend anywhere from 2-7 nights at a time hiking and camping.

I am looking for input on a camera body, a lens for landscape photography, and a lens for wildlife photography. Durability, water resistance, and weight are certainly critical factors for me as the gear may be exposed to a wide range of conditions and will be carried for dozens of miles on a trip. I primarily would like to shoot landscape and larger wildlife such as deer, elk, moose, bison, and bears. I will have a budget of around $5,000.

Any advice or input would be much appreciated!
My typical kit for a similar excursion would be a full-frame body, 50mm Tilt/Shift and 85mm for landscapes, 105 Macro for close-ups and 250mm for coyotes & deer.

APS-C is a good choice if size and weight are factors. Fujifilm is probably your best bet if you go down this route, they offer a great selection of weather sealed bodies and lenses. The XT line is pretty small and compact, however if you need more robustness the X series cameras are built like tanks but they are bigger and heavier.

Last edited:
I would suggest either an APC mirrorless or a micro 4/3 system. Full frame with full frame lenses will be to heavy for backpacking. I would limit yourself to two lenses, a wide to medium zoom and a mid to telephoto zoom. I have both Nikon DX and Olympus micro 4/3 camera systems. If backpacking, I would take my Olympus with only the 14-150 lens. Both are weathersealed and very light.

just my two cents. but the nikon P900. if you can find one. is about the best hiking/carry camera i'v seen. the zoom range is massive! not sure about the 1000. i haven't researched it.

Whatever your choice, don't forget reserve power from extra batteries and/or power banks. Not all cameras will charge from those so check for that feature while shopping.

Why? Because bears aren't in the habit of sharing their generators.

The 18 MB T2i is likely still good for you as I doubt you've come close to exceeding it's capability.

Everyone's going to have an opinion based on their brand favorite. Rather than buying s new body, look at some compatible glass for what you have. Maybe a 300 or 400mm used. Once you have some experience then you'll be better able to know what you need.

As to weather proof I've always been partial to Pentax. They've never failed me yet. However there are numerous waterproof bags on the market.

Full frame with full frame lenses will be to heavy for backpacking.
Not all full-frame cameras and lenses weigh the same - and not everyone is too decrepit to carry them.

I'd stick to Canon. Not because they're the best or they fit your needs--that's a "Ford vs. Chevy" debate. It's because you've already got a Canon so if you upgrade your body, there's a chance your existing batteries will work and your existing lens might work (again, depending upon what you buy). Plus you're used to the Canon menu system (even though you're inexperienced). I say all this as a long-time Nikon user. Everyone has their favorite. Frankly, the camera body isn't going to mean that much (especially if you're inexperienced with photography). Your lens and your preparation will matter more than the camera body.

In an ideal world you'd buy mirrorless. They're smaller and lighter (and for multi-day hikes that's critical). You ideally want to take one lens. Changing lens in the outdoors is something you want to do as little as possible (to avoid getting dust in the body). Do bring extra batteries. And if you buy mirrorless, buy extra extra batteries--they run through juice like crazy.

If you're going to be shooting sunrises and sunsets or wild animals in a lot of darkness (say...a poorly lit forest), you'll need a tripod. If you get a good one it can double as an okay hiking stick. But let's assume you're not shooting in low light.

In that case, ideally you'll look for what is called a "super zoom" lens. It's a lens that will shoot at around 30mm (ideal for landscape) and as far out as 200mm or even 300mm (important for wildlife). Important points--sharpness of detail with such lens is going to go down a lot at the extremes. And all zooms are not as sharp as a good prime lens. But if you invest in a super zoom lens you'll keep it on your camera and won't need to swap lens. A super zoom will probably weigh a lot but that's better than carrying two lens and having to swap them in and out.

Thank you to everyone for the responses and input. Lots of very good things to consider. After reading up on the aps-c cameras, that feels like it could be a good fit for my needs. Sticking with Canon makes sense as well. My couple of lenses are pretty basic in an EFS 18-55 and 55-250 along with an EF 100mm 2.8 Macro lens. I am currently examining the Canon R7. Seems like there are some relatively affordable RF lenses. I think I will keep practicing with the T2i for a bit while I continue to research.

Thank you to everyone for the responses and input. Lots of very good things to consider. After reading up on the aps-c cameras, that feels like it could be a good fit for my needs. Sticking with Canon makes sense as well. My couple of lenses are pretty basic in an EFS 18-55 and 55-250 along with an EF 100mm 2.8 Macro lens. I am currently examining the Canon R7. Seems like there are some relatively affordable RF lenses. I think I will keep practicing with the T2i for a bit while I continue to research.
I appreciate you making the effort to reply. So often a person says "give me some advice" and a bunch of TPF folks reply and....crickets. Did the advice help? Was it ignored? How did it play out?

So, once you make your decision and especially once you get out in the field, please share your perspective. And it's okay if you end up disagreeing with every piece of advice you got in this thread--just share what you learned. And you will have rewarded the folks who took the time to offer comments AND you'll have contributed to the knowledge base that is TPF.

Good luck!

I appreciate you making the effort to reply. So often a person says "give me some advice" and a bunch of TPF folks reply and....crickets. Did the advice help? Was it ignored? How did it play out?

So, once you make your decision and especially once you get out in the field, please share your perspective. And it's okay if you end up disagreeing with every piece of advice you got in this thread--just share what you learned. And you will have rewarded the folks who took the time to offer comments AND you'll have contributed to the knowledge base that is TPF.

Good luck!
Totally understandable, definitely appreciate all the input and support! Tons of different options in the photography world so nice to hear all the options and input. Visited a local camera shop today and got to talk to a photographer there who’s been shooting for 60 years, that was a great learning experience as well. Going to rent a couple cameras and lenses from them to try out before purchasing anything.

I helped a friend get to grips with their recently purchased R7 and I was surprised at how cheap it felt, which was surprising considering the R7 costs about £1500 body only. APS-C lens choice is also really limited. Have you considered used? For example, I recently purchased a Fujifilm XH-1 for £500 from MPB and XF lenses can be picked up for about £300-400. Buying used might be more cost effective.

I helped a friend get to grips with their recently purchased R7 and I was surprised at how cheap it felt, which was surprising considering the R7 costs about £1500 body only. APS-C lens choice is also really limited. Have you considered used? For example, I recently purchased a Fujifilm XH-1 for £500 from MPB and XF lenses can be picked up for about £300-400. Buying used might be more cost effective.
Fuji and Nikon are both still options I’m considering as well. I do know people who recommend each. What I’m examining now is the canon r7 with an RF 16mm and 100-400. That kit would weigh a total of 3.1lbs and cost barely over $2,000. Whereas lens’ like the Nikkor 200-500 weigh 5lbs+ and cost twice as much as the rf 100-400. I’m sure the quality of it is higher naturally, I’m just not sure the cost and weight is necessary for my current skill level. Doesn’t seem like much of a difference but when hiking with camping gear and food for 7 days, it can definitely make a difference. But I’m definitely open to alternatives that would be similar or better from Fuji and Nikon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back