can cactus trigger flash stands support umbrellas, etc?

StuckInParadise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased my first lighting equipment online. Vivatar 285HV and CactusV5 transceivers. The package for the triggers on Gadget Infinity said it comes with two flash stands. Has anyone received these and know of the quality?
I'm doing indoor portrait work/boudoir and still need to purchase an umbrella. Can these stands (FS-5) hold a decent umbrella or do I need get a stand with it?

Also, I've read several cons, but are there any great benefits to having a continuous light softbox, versus just using my flash?

On THIS PAGE, the 'flash stands' are shown in the photo...they are right below the units (rectangle with a rectangle cut out). They are also shown in a couple of the 'detail shots'.

They are just for holding the unit and/or flash upright on a table etc. They may have 1/4" threads on the bottom, which would allow you to mount them onto a tripod (or light stand with 1/4" stud).
There is no attachment for an umbrella, nor do I think they could support that kind of cantilevered weight.

If you want to use umbrellas, you will want an actual light stand. And you will probably want an umbrella adapter. The adapter goes onto the stand, the umbrella and the flash go onto the adapter. With this Cactus unit, you could mount the unit onto the adapter and then put the flash on top of it. This will move the flash head pretty high up in the umbrella, but it is what it is.

I've linked the stand etc. from Gadget Infinity, where I usually see the Cactus triggers...but these things are available from any good photo store/site.

Also, I've read several cons, but are there any great benefits to having a continuous light softbox, versus just using my flash?

A softbox is a light modifier, not a light. You can put a softbox onto either a continuous light or a flash. It's obvious purpose is to soften the light, but unlike an umbrella, a softbox tends to keep the light constrained to one direction.

You probably don't want to mix continuous type lighting with flash, as the color temp will be different. Unless we are talking about studio strobes, which usually have 'modeling' lights, which are continuous...but they usually aren't used for shooting, just seeing what you are doing...and they aren't used in conjunction with the strobe.

When I saw "flash stand" I misinterpreted that as "light stand" ("wow, what a great deal" lol). Thank you for the clarification.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back