Can I adjust color in my camera?

River Roe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the moment, I am working with a cannon A540 point and shoot. I love to take portraits of children (often my own since they are a captive audience) but Ive noticed that my camera tends to give skin almost a greenish tone. Right now I am only able to use Picassa to edit my images (I should have access to C2 soon). Is there some sort of setting in my camera I can use to fix this greening issue? Or do I just have to wait till I run it through editing software?

I was actually able to mostly edit out the green hue in this one but on the front of his forehead you can still see a hint of the greenish cast

IMG_0021-1.jpg

Learn to adjust the white balance to fit the light source you're using.

Don't knock Picasa. It's fine. I'm sure it can also be used to make adjustments to Levels (most critical adjustment of all!) and color balance.

The A540 has a settable "White Balance". Selectable White Balance modes are: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Underwater (useful with it's optional waterproof housing), and Custom. You probably want to use Custom. To do so select it and point the camera at a very white piece of paper that is in the SAME light as the child or other subject, when asked.

The A540 also has some built in Image Processing or "Zone" modes like "Color Accent", "Color Swap", "My Colors", "Kids & Pets" and etc. that you might want to play with. Experiment 1st so you don't miss any good shots. ;)

Hope that helps, have fun!

Last edited:
The A540 has a settable "White Balance". Selectable White Balance modes are: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Underwater (useful with it's optional waterproof housing), and Custom. You probably want to use Custom. To do so select it and point the camera at a very white piece of paper that is in the SAME light as the child or other subject, when asked.

The A540 also has some built in Image Processing or "Zone" modes like "Color Accent", "Color Swap", "My Colors", "Kids & Pets" and etc. that you might want to play with. Experiment 1st so you don't miss any good shots. ;)

Hope that helps, have fun!

Very helpful!! thanks so much :hail:

Most reactions

Back