Can i correct this lens distortion??

bazpaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I am wondering about the following image. Why did this happen and can i correct it? The aperture was at 8.0....why is the lighthouse bent so much??

I tried lens correction in photoshop but it doesnt work....help please???

IMG_1957.jpg

yeh its so annoying because through the eyepiece it looks perfect

is it because i have a **** lens????

yeh i must try the corrective distortion thingy!!

here is two other photos from the same morning....i quite like the first one, even though the building is not appealing i think the sky is great!

4123311781_796b8bea96_b.jpg

4124062998_e08a387094_b.jpg

OBVIOUSLY standing where you are, you shouldn't expect getting a perfect flat shot, but here are few things:
photoshop --> filters --> distortion --> lens (something). Play with that. Once you get the plain you like, use clone tools to add parts that are missing.
AND don't forget to crop the final image :)
good luck

I tried lens correction in photoshop but it doesnt work....help please???

Not surprising as the image displays absolutely no significant lens distortion.

What you are seeing is caused by the image plane (film or sensor) not being perfectly vertical. It is not a product of any lens attribute. The effect is more pronounced when using a wide angle, but that is only because when using a wide lens the ratio of the distances to the bottom of the building and to the top of the building is greater than it would have been if you used a longer lens and stood further away.

The "fix" is to use the Perspective Transform in Photoshop or the equivalent in some other image editor. Check out this recent thread:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...4-little-help-please-editing-train-photo.html

If you want to study the topic in more detail try Googling "Scheimpflug".

ahh very good....yes i got the free transform thing going now!!#

what an awesome tool i love photoshop!!

Anytime you point your camera up at something, you will get those weird perspective things. Your options are:

1) Buy an expensive Tilt/Shift lens
2) Fix in photoshop
3) Try shooting straight on (though won't work on every shot, especially very tall things, or things you are close to)

Under transforms in Photoshop...skew is your friend. You will have to play with it to get everything looking normal, but it works the best.

Most reactions

Back