Can I exceed my tripods max weight rating?

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know that the obvious answer is no, but surely they are rated for less than they can hold...right? I mean most weight ratings in this world can be grossly exceeded without harm or damage, but as a safety (see..cover our hind-ends) factor manufacturers place these consevative ratings on their products.

So, here is my delema.....

With my tax return, I have plans (and asked the wife for permission) to purchase a Canon 600mm f/4. Also, a wimberly gimble head and arca-swiss style plate designed for the long telephoto lenses.

This equipment along with my Canon 40D w/grip will "possibly" be mounted on my Bogen/Manfrotto 055MF3 tripod.

Now, here is the delema. The tripod is rated for 15.4 pounds. The total weight of my equipment will be roughly 18 pounds. But my tripod is carbon fiber and I am sure its not the legs that are rated for 15.4, but perhaps the leg locks? And I am assuming that the weight rating is with the tripod fully extended as well. What if only one leg section is pulled out, leaving the smaller/weaker sections unused?

Would any of you folks risk it? I know some may be thinking....if you can afford that lens, then you can afford the tripod too. Well, yes and no. I have longed for the 600mm forever, and suddenly have the means to purchase, but all these additional costs are really adding up. (head, plate, etc)

Bottom line, risk it or sell and buy different tripod?

Derrick

Let me put it simple....

If the tripod failed with your expensive 600mm lens attached causing major damage, how would you feel?

1) Ah well... it wasn't that expensive anyway :er:
2) OMG!!!!! Excuse me while I go to a quiet corner and beat my self within seconds of death.

Yes.. you are right... the answer was obvious.

Reminds me of people with expensive high performance sports cars and cheap out on tires. The only thing connecting you to road are tires.

I know, thats the answer I tell myself as well. I never skimped on the "Z" rated tires though. LOL

ewwww.....

typical rule of thumb is tripod capacity twice that of your heaviest lens/body...

it's not just about it the pod is fully extended... it's also about wind bursts... uneven surfaces and even the odd time you give it a bump by accident..

personally, i wouldn't overload the capacity of my tripod with a 600mm lens...

i'm thinking if you can afford this lens that you can afford proper support for it...

If I could afford a 600mm f4 lens, I'd be looking at the best saddle money can buy.

I don't think that the max weight is about breaking the tripod as much as it is about at what point does the tripod start to become unstable. If you stick a giant camera on a puny tripod it usually doesn't crush the tripod, but it might be more prone to fall over.

I exceeded mine.

I managed to catch my D200 about 50cm from the water surface it was standing in when one of the legs decided it would no longer stay extended.
Bought a new Manfrotto tripod a day later.

I used a cheap 6 pound rated monopod with some 7 pounds of gear and some of my own weight from leaning on it, and I almost fell off the bleachers when the leg bent.

Buy a nice tripod. $400 for legs now or depression (and a slap from the Mrs.) later when you drop $7600 worth in lens + a body.

I have heeded the advice and am in the market for a Gitzo I guess. Good grief this "hobby" is expensive.

I have heeded the advice and am in the market for a Gitzo I guess. Good grief this "hobby" is expensive.

Gitzo have twist locks

Manfrotto/Bogen have levers

Both are well made and worth the money with Gitzo being more expensive (part features/quality and part name). You really should go to the store and extend/collapse an example of Manfrotto/Bogen as well as Gitzo. It doesn't matter which model... Just get a feel for the locking mechanisms in the legs and center column. Once you decide which style you like, then start looking into models that fit your needs. Some people don't like the twist locking mechanisms on the Gitzos. Some find it faster than the levers (there is a trick to quickly unlocking Gitzo legs).

Personally... for really heavy duty aluminum tripods, you should consider manfrotto/Bogen. If lightweight and compactness are high priority, then go with Gitzo (assuming you like the twist locks).

You should also get geared tripods since you'll have a pretty heavy load.

(btw.. both are owned by the same mother company)

Bogen Imaging Inc. | photo - audio - cine - broadcast - video - digital

Good choice. Go for the 3 series at least. They are rated for about 36lbs. The mountaineer 6x are what most super-telephoto shooters prefer. Ease of set-up and the g-lock is a must. It will save your butt when you forget to fully tighten the knobs. Trust me, it will happen. You have to be absolutely comfortable about setting your camera on the tripod and walking away from it without worrying that it will tip over. That's my rule of thumb anyway.

First off, congrats on the lens and the head/plate dude... whew.... Please send some shots our way.

Here's another slant...... how are you going to explain to the missus if you cheap out on a ~10% increase in expense for porper legs, if your kit falls over? I'm not a marriage counselor, nor do I play one on TV, but I imagine that would be a stressfull conversation.

Homer.jpg

That is not a good excuse.

all the best.

LOL, I get it already.

The leg locks I could care less about, this will be a dedicated tripod for this setup only. Most of my shooting will be from a blind &/or staying in one spot for a long time. So speed isn't a priority. no need for a geared center column either. In fact, no center column is what I am after. I will be purchasing the Gitzo GT-5541LS
seen here: Gitzo | GT5541LS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT5541LS

Anyone have experience with this model?

Here's my thinking... and I'm not judging.

First, you start with "Can I get away without spending any money".... and end with one of the most expensive lines of tripods in the market.

For someone who is just about to blow close to $1000 on a tripod, you are really nonchalant about the operation/feel of that item.

You are really confusing....

Not carefree at all about it, something is going to have to give, and it will likely be selling my 055MF3 carbon fiber and also selling my Sigma 50-500.

I am dropping some very serious coin on all of this, and just wanted to save a little. Now I realize that nothing is cheap, and I had better be safe rather than sorry.

And the operation, as I mentioned, is not too important as it will be set up and left alone. Not worried about "ease" or "speed".

Sorry if it felt like I was contradictory, I should have mentioned selling some stuff once I decided to go with the big Gitzo. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back