Can I get a Terry Richardson effect with a 90's KODAK disposable ?

Thierry Mugler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I keep hearing you can but I have no clue if this is true.
I am looking at these cams online,

is it possible by using this with the flash to get this effect?
I noticed in alot of old photos from kodak cams they sorta have this vividness to them. But I have no true if it is possible, and if not what cheap cam should I use?

They look like these kind of shots do not take much effort to take.

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
They look like these kind of shots do not take much effort to take.

I can't answer your question, but generally speaking, it often takes a lot of effort to make things look like they don't take much effort.
Good luck.

Richardson keeps the model CLOSE to the wall, as much as possible, which gives that shadow. A critical aspect is indeed, a flash that is very,very close to the lens axis.

LINKS ARE LIKELY NSFW

How to Shoot like Terry Richardson – (Part 2: The Setup)

NSFW LINK

NSFW LINK

How to Shoot like Terry Richardson – (Part 3: The Results)

Is this possible with a Fuji Film or Kodak disposable ? I have seen him shooting with point and shoot camreas
in one of his blogs. Because if you look at old pics from like the 90s it has this SHARP shadow effect to them
in gen.

Depends on how you use it. I don't think you'd necessarily get that look just by using a disposable but it could be possible. Maybe you could if you used similar backgrounds, posing, and lighting.

I've used plastic cameras, Polaroids, etc. and don't necessarily get anything like this particular look. What I've seen that's supposed to look like film photos to me usually resemble old photos that were maybe in a shoebox in a basement for years. Seems experimental; I guess you'd have to set up something and try it and see what results you get.

And I wondered for a minute there why the user name sounded familiar, now I see why.

I think he used a Yashica T4 Super a lot which has fantastic glass. I doubt a disposable could even come close. I'm not an expert, just my first thought.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Depends on how you use it. I don't think you'd necessarily get that look just by using a disposable but it could be possible. Maybe you could if you used similar backgrounds, posing, and lighting.

I've used plastic cameras, Polaroids, etc. and don't necessarily get anything like this particular look. What I've seen that's supposed to look like film photos to me usually resemble old photos that were maybe in a shoebox in a basement for years. Seems experimental; I guess you'd have to set up something and try it and see what results you get.

And I wondered for a minute there why the user name sounded familiar, now I see why.

See this pic

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5122/5235409238_7d97b07e61.jpg

it was taken with a Kodak disposable, and the image has that terry effect,
need I mind you there is no lighting minus the flash, so it makes me wonder
maybe it could be possible?

The sharp shadow effect on the background is caused by having the flash on a special bracket that positions the flash VERY close to the lens axis. He has been working in high-resolution Nikon digital for several years now, with a fairly saturated, yet not over-the-top degree of color saturation; you could say that his typical color look is close to Kodacolor Gold, so yeah, it has a sort of 1980's-1990's, reasonably realistic color negative film like look. But again...the "terry" look is shooting a model CLOSE to a white wall, with a flash RIGHT ON the camera...he's using a type of side-mount bracket that puts the flash 1 to 1.5 inches off to the side of the lens, which is VERY close. That flash is giving the crisp shadow that "links" the person's **body** to the wall, and yet the closeness to the lens axis means the light does not cause a lot of shadow on the face, in a sort of ringlight-like, revealing, direct, unflinchingly direct "look".

HERE is the post you might want to read: Strobist: On Assignment: On Camera, On Axis, On Budget

Notice that Mr. Hobby writes : " Ever notice that the on-camera flash shots from your point-and-shoot camera can actually look...kinda good? That's because those cameras are so small that the onboard flash acts more like a ring light than a DSLR-style flash. Here is how to get that look with your DSLR, some gaff and an OCF cord."

"...the side brackets made popular by Terry Richardson. The side brackets get the flash very close to the lens for a look that is a little more brash (and, oddly, glamorous) than your normal, on-camera flash."

The sharp shadow effect on the background is caused by having the flash on a special bracket that positions the flash VERY close to the lens axis. He has been working in high-resolution Nikon digital for several years now, with a fairly saturated, yet not over-the-top degree of color saturation; you could say that his typical color look is close to Kodacolor Gold, so yeah, it has a sort of 1980's-1990's, reasonably realistic color negative film like look. But again...the "terry" look is shooting a model CLOSE to a white wall, with a flash RIGHT ON the camera...he's using a type of side-mount bracket that puts the flash 1 to 1.5 inches off to the side of the lens, which is VERY close. That flash is giving the crisp shadow that "links" the person's **body** to the wall, and yet the closeness to the lens axis means the light does not cause a lot of shadow on the face, in a sort of ringlight-like, revealing, direct, unflinchingly direct "look".

HERE is the post you might want to read: Strobist: On Assignment: On Camera, On Axis, On Budget

Notice that Mr. Hobby writes : " Ever notice that the on-camera flash shots from your point-and-shoot camera can actually look...kinda good? That's because those cameras are so small that the onboard flash acts more like a ring light than a DSLR-style flash. Here is how to get that look with your DSLR, some gaff and an OCF cord."

"...the side brackets made popular by Terry Richardson. The side brackets get the flash very close to the lens for a look that is a little more brash (and, oddly, glamorous) than your normal, on-camera flash."

So is it safe to get a disposable camera , I dont have a DSLR, I have friends that have them, but it would be a pain to hike down to Brookyln.
Like since you said the point & shoot acts like a ring light flash, I should be all set right?

Get yourself a white wall, some naked chicks, and some big teardrop-framed eyeglasses and a plaid shirt, grow a mustahce, and you're all set.

He is not a good photographer to emulate.

Get yourself a white wall, some naked chicks, and some big teardrop-framed eyeglasses and a plaid shirt, grow a mustahce, and you're all set.
Damn, I'm starting to agree with you a little too often.
Don't forget to sleep with at least some of them.

Most reactions

Back