Can I say I'm a Freelancer at the airports?

then do that. Don't give anyone a reason to deny your access into their country...

This is exactly why Ben Affleck didn't just roll up into Iran and say he was there to Rescue the American embassy workers.
But wait....you mean that was really Ben Affleck? I thought that was Tony Mendez. So you're saying that it was Ben Affleck operating with the work name of Tony Mendez (so no-one would know he was a famous moviestar)? Very tricky. So a movie star was posing as a CIA operative who was posing as someone in the movies in order to get the hostages out.

Thanks everyone for the clarification!

Basically I've not been collecting money on this Freelance trips, I've been trading my photos for accommodation and some living expenses.

And the people I have been doing this are my friends so I don't think there should be a problem to mention that on the customs.

I always say I'm just visiting the country and visiting some friends but some officers just think it's weird that I'm going from one country to another by myself and make too many questions which make me nervous since I'm not sure about my rights

Thanks everyone for the clarification!

Basically I've not been collecting money on this Freelance trips, I've been trading my photos for accommodation and some living expenses.

And the people I have been doing this are my friends so I don't think there should be a problem to mention that on the customs.

I always say I'm just visiting the country and visiting some friends but some officers just think it's weird that I'm going from one country to another by myself and make too many questions which make me nervous since I'm not sure about my rights

Actually I am not quite sure that you have got it clear enough. Whatever the method of payment and whether you sell your images or pay with it for services, whether it is friends you are dealing or businesses - this is all may be considered as work. Just think about it - by saying all these things you are putting the Customs officer in a difficult position, because he has to act according to the law. And the law says any work, for money or otherwise, requires a work visa.
You are nervous when you say you are a tourist and travel a lot, wait and see how nervous you will get if you start explaining all that "I am trading my pictures for accommodation and living expenses (which is in effect money) with friends" stuff to the officer... And then he will just ask: "Are you saying you will pay for your trip with pictures that you are going to take in US?"
Keep. It. Simple.

If you have nothing to hide then be honest as to why you are travelling. The airport screening personal while seeming underpaid, undertrained and bitter that other people go places they can't, can really mess your plans up if you get caught with any kind of lie. Being 100% honest is always your best way to travel, unless of course you have swallowed 20 rolls of kodachrome in condoms. They are very harsh of film mules.

Being serious, just be honest with security and passport control.

Oh youre telling this to Customs? I'd tell them nothing, especially that you're here in the country for "business" without a work visa.

"I'm here for travelling and taking pictures."

Agreed!

I used to tell everyone that I was on vacation and I was a hobby photographer before I made it an official business.

Most reactions

Back