Can someone please tell me..........

facebook seriously condenses the pictures. My guess is they're huge and facebook has just made them smaller

You probably need to resize for the web before uploading, this will stop people from printing your pics but should also prevent FB from mashing your pics for their servers, upload something like 600 x 400 pixel images instead of full size if thats what your doing. H

Quick search and found this:

Optimizing and resizing pictures for facebook | San Diego Photographer - Blog

"In Photoshop you can resize your image by going to image>image size. Make sure “constrain proportions” is checked and PPI is set to 72. Now set your long edge (width or height, whichever is greater) to 720 pixels. (this used to be 604 but they ramped it up since I wrote this). Let the other number change on its own to preserve the aspect ratio of your photo."

Looks like 720 pixels on the long end and 72dpi is what they downsize everything to, so if Im not mistaken do it yourself prior to uploading to avoid any compression degradation?

......Looks like 720 pixels on the long end and 72dpi is what they downsize everything to, so if Im not mistaken do it yourself prior to uploading to avoid any compression degradation?

When referring to digital images, there is no such thing as dpi, only ppi. Dpi and ppi are not the same thing, and they are not interchangable. ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

A number of your photos need tone adjustments and that will help a lot.

You used the word grainy and in digital photography grainy is noise. EXIF data isn't available for your photos on Facebook, but the first place I'd look to address complaints about noise is the ISO for the photo. If you use the camera on full auto then the camera will adjust the ISO as a function of it's programming. Some of your photos look like they may have been shot at higher ISO values and that would cause them to appear grainy.

It's unlikely that Facebook is guilty by resizing them.

Take Care,
Joe

The same exact thing was happening with the images I was posting on Facebook as well until I began resizing my pictures to a size between 604 or 800 pixels. J-digg's link is the same one I read when I encountered this very same issue I think.

best wishes

Hi,

A number of your photos need tone adjustments and that will help a lot.

You used the word grainy and in digital photography grainy is noise. EXIF data isn't available for your photos on Facebook, but the first place I'd look to address complaints about noise is the ISO for the photo. If you use the camera on full auto then the camera will adjust the ISO as a function of it's programming. Some of your photos look like they may have been shot at higher ISO values and that would cause them to appear grainy.

It's unlikely that Facebook is guilty by resizing them.

Take Care,
Joe
Hi there just wanted to say that on most of my images that are noisy on Facebook are at 100 and 200 ISO ;)

My photos get grainy on Facebook... A lot of people's do. I'm not saying none are messed up ISO, but Facebook seriously condenses pics. So, that quoted portion there may not necessarily be true. ^^

I'm still not convinced that Facebook is adding the noise when they re-size your photos. Re-sampling a photo down just doesn't normally do that. HOWEVER, I have no direct experience with Facebook so I could be wrong.

You also get noise build up when a photo is underexposed. Many of your photos need tone adjustments and that's more likely at the root of the problem. Photos 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18 -- look at 18; the photo is way too dark and flat. I think this is what you have to address.

Take Care,
Joe

I'm still not convinced that Facebook is adding the noise when they re-size your photos. Re-sampling a photo down just doesn't normally do that. HOWEVER, I have no direct experience with Facebook so I could be wrong.

You also get noise build up when a photo is underexposed. Many of your photos need tone adjustments and that's more likely at the root of the problem. Photos 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18 -- look at 18; the photo is way too dark and flat. I think this is what you have to address.

Take Care,
Joe
Not to keep making excuses LOL but I forgot to mention that starting at about 32 are my recent ones. Those you spoke of were from several months ago. What about the newer ones, like #'s 37,57,59,60,71 and 72? Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back