Can someone show me the cheap Pentax Primes?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hear a lot of people talk about how great the Pentax system is because of all the cheap older primes you can get, but I'm not finding any except for the ones that are fully manual (no TTL or autofocus). Surely I'm missing something, yet I've looked numerous times, and can't find them. Am I looking for the wrong thing? It seems like its not just Pentax that has cheap manual primes, as Minolta and Nikon do also (and Canon, but I don't think theirs fit).

I would like a 50mm and something around 80-100mm.

I know some may find my posts annoying (I do post a lot of questions about specific cameras). If that's the case I apologize, but luckily there are other threads to post in! :)

Most should meter just fine, but you wont find any M42 auto focus, You can get an adapter that has AF confirmation, so as you manually focus your focus point will flash and beep when correct focus is achieved.

Look at http://www.keh.com

Search for "pentax screwmount" (M42)

TTL is a metering methoed (Threw the Lens), it's built into camera bodies and not the lens, Any lens will TTL meter on a TTL equiped body.

My third party M42 Screw mount 200mm - I paid $7 USD
100_3371.jpg

My 55mm Super-Takumar came with the body seen above

*EDIT*
(and Canon, but I don't think theirs fit).

Canons older lens system will not work on current canon bodies, that is correct. Canon changed their entire mounting system when the EF series was launched.

Garage sales and flea markets are the cheapest, they are a little hit and miss though.

Thanks. I'm getting that the coolness comes from getting cool MANUAL lenses. That's what I was missing. I was seeing the price of the autofocus lenses and I wasn't exactly getting what people like Drewski were talking about.

Thanks for clarifying!

BTW, Battou, that's a beautiful camera. I love the old stainless steel-looking cameras. You can argue old vs. new, but they sure don't look like they used to, there's no comparison on that! :)

make sure you find a body before you go out lens hunting

I guess it would be easier to buy manual K-mount lenses (not M42 lenses) so you don't need an adaptor. I believe that the focus confirmation will work with all those lenses on Pentax dSLR's. The shooting modes are restricted depending on the lenses you use (KA or KM). It should all be explained in the camera manuals.

Most reactions

Back