Can you stomach another upgrade thread?

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read the other upgrade threads, and gotten most of the info I need. But, this is a big decision for me, and I don't want to regret my decision later.

Currently shoot a d5100 with the kit 18-55, the 50mm 1.8, and the 70-300 4.5 to 5.6.
I want better IQ including color depth and dynamic range, better low light performance, better AF acquisition on moving targets, and low light AF, and the ability to crop tighter with acceptable resolution.

I have been saving my GAS fund, and reached the point where I can make an offer on a local private sale, and likely pick up a virtually unused (reportedly 157 clicks) D800 along with a Nikkor 24-85 f/3.5-4.5.

I could get this, and also keep all my DX stuff for now.

My goal is to have a "jack of all trades" system.

I realize if I upgrade to that body, I will be limited by lack of good glass, and upgraded lenses will be expensive, and it will take longer to accumulate a proper lens assortment.

Specific questions:

Will I notice or care about the AA filter in the D800?

Is this a stupid idea: I won't be able to afford a good long lens in FX format for a good while. Probably a year. Could I put the d800 in DX mode, attach my 70-300, and do as well or better than my d5100 for wildlife?

I realize my skills may not justify an upgrade, but if my wallet does, that's the important thing. Right?

If your 70-300 is actually f/4.5-5.6, then it's an FX lens. The DX versions are f/4.5-6.3.

A quick way to check is to see if the lens actually has "DX" right on it. If it doesn't, you've got yourself an FX lens. Time to par-tay!

Well, dayum. I've got myself an FX lens. :1219:

This Magic Moment has been brought to you by ThePhotoForum. :allteeth:

I would not worry about AA filters in high mp cameras. The d800 is very nice, does most things well. Just make sure your computer can do 36mp files without slowing down to unusable speeds

I think the d800 is approx 15mp in crop mode. It should do a little better than the d5100. It's FPS isn't great though

...... Just make sure your computer can do 36mp files without slowing down to unusable speeds..............

Especially if you're going to shoot NEFs. You'll also need to watch the storage capacity of your hard drive. You might want to invest in a 2-, 3- or even a 4-tb external drive.

Will I notice or care about the AA filter in the D800?
nope.

have been saving my GAS fund, and reached the point where I can make an offer on a local private sale, and likely pick up a virtually unused (reportedly 157 clicks) D800 along with a Nikkor 24-85 f/3.5-4.5.

HUGE upgrade over your d5100.

tenor.gif

Thanks very much for the replies.

I would not worry about AA filters in high mp cameras. The d800 is very nice, does most things well. Just make sure your computer can do 36mp files without slowing down to unusable speeds

I think the d800 is approx 15mp in crop mode. It should do a little better than the d5100. It's FPS isn't great though

The computer issue is part of the GAS rabbit hole I hadn't fully factored. I don't even know the specs of my comuter offhand. I think 16g RAM, but I'll check what processor it has when I get home tonight. I have been working with a 5 shot panorama, raw D5100 files, in LR and PS. It slows down the computer, but still very useable. It might take 10 seconds to load the image rather than the 2 or 3 it takes to load a single .nef.

I noticed the fps of the D800 is spec'd the same as the D5100 at 4fps. Not great, but I think Derrel said he can get 8fps in DX mode.

Thank you again
Zac

You can probably find a few full-size files online that you can legally download just to test whether your machine is up to the task. But it would need to be several years old for it to choke up on JPEGs. NEFs, however, are a whole different animal, especially in terms of storage needed.

Maybe someone here can post a couple from their camera just for you to try.

find my d600 vs d800 thread, I posted a NEF from each.

Oh, and one other thing:

DO NOT TELL YOUR WIFE YOU WON'T NEED TO BUY ANOTHER LENS.

Let's make this our little secret, OK?

I won't tell if you won't.

...... Just make sure your computer can do 36mp files without slowing down to unusable speeds..............

Especially if you're going to shoot NEFs. You'll also need to watch the storage capacity of your hard drive. You might want to invest in a 2-, 3- or even a 4-tb external drive.

If you want to save some relatively substantial storage space, convert the D800 NEF's to Adobe .DNG files...it saves a pretty fair amount of space for me! Around $1,000 seems a reasonable price for a D800; my local B&M photo store has a D810 at $1,195, and a D800 at $975. I have been pretty impressed with the D800's 36-MP files when cropped pretty heavily...it's a GOOD sensor!

I'll see about posting a few .NEF's on my DropBox site, and I'll PM you the URL later tonight.

I see NO reason not to own a good d-slr...the D5100 is an okay camera, but the D800 has the round eyepiece, and the full-sized viewfinder and the full-sized viewfinder screen in it, and the high-grade, $3,695 original introductory price type of build and subsystems, meaning it's a major step-up from a D3xxx or D5xxx series APS-C compact body. It has better external controls, a better AF module, and so on. To my way of thinking, the D800 is a good all-around d-slr for a Nikon shooter.

My computer is an HP Pavillion. i5-4460 processor, 12GB DDR3 system memory, 1TBHD, Intel HD Graphics 4600

The raw files from @Braineack and @Derrel seem to be behaving well in PS. An external HD is on the list, along with a revamp of my file handling process.

Seeing these raw files, and playing with them...the difference from my D5100 files is more than yuge. And the D5100 can take a darn nice picture.

I'm on the hunt for a D800. This local deal may or may not fly.

Well, I've made the splurge, and I blame you guys.

I got the 157 click D800 with the 22-85 3.5-4.5 G from a super nice local guy. He had the J. Dennis Thomas Field Guide, which has helped me to a quick start to a learning process.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back