Cannon AE-1

heykaren

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an old Cannon AE-1 that isnt working perfectly but has done me some good service. Recently, Ive gotten the urge to drag it out and try to get some creative photos taken, but the camera will work when there is no film in it - the shutter works when the button is pressed - but doesnt seem to want to work when there is film inside. Has anyone had a problem like this - is it fixable, or is it time for a new camera. Thanks!

Hmm... I've got the same camera, but don't know the problem.

If it's just been sitting around for a while, you make want to take it in and get it cleaned, oiled and fixed up before you start heavily using it.

I agree with glib. Take it in for a good cleaning, and ask them to check it out and give you a price to fix it.

heykaren said:
I have an old Cannon AE-1 that isnt working perfectly but has done me some good service. Recently, Ive gotten the urge to drag it out and try to get some creative photos taken, but the camera will work when there is no film in it - the shutter works when the button is pressed - but doesnt seem to want to work when there is film inside. Has anyone had a problem like this - is it fixable, or is it time for a new camera. Thanks!

Is the battery new? Try to replace it and see if that fixes the problem. Also, does the counter move when shooting without film? Or is it stuck at 36?

I believe it is a fixable problem, I'd start with a new battery and then take it for a good CLA (Clean, Lube and Adjust). Depending where you take it, it might be better buying another gently used body for a few more bucks.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! The counter does move when there is no film, it is not stuck on 36. I will try the new battery first --- I cant remember the last time I changed it. Hopefully it will be a simple thing - everything I see now Im looking at as "that would make a great photo" -- Im dying to get out there and shoot. Ill let you know how it turns out! Thanks again! :)

heykaren said:
Thanks for the advice! The counter does move when there is no film, it is not stuck on 36. I will try the new battery first --- I cant remember the last time I changed it. Hopefully it will be a simple thing - everything I see now Im looking at as "that would make a great photo" -- Im dying to get out there and shoot. Ill let you know how it turns out! Thanks again! :)

Cool! Can't wait to see your pics. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back