canon 1.4 teleconverter

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been thinking of going with a teleconverter for my 70-200 2.8L IS for the upcoming football season. But I love shallow DOF since everything can get busy on a field. If I remember correctly a 1.4 tele shoots like f4 max aperture? (I would look it up but I am on my phone currently) will my dof still look like 2.8 using a tele or will my aperture be truely f4? I found one locally for 160.00 and may go grab it.

If you need the range I'd grab it as the only other options are:
300mm f4 IS L
or
300/400mm f2.8 IS L

So for the price range as well as bulk and weight your current best option is the 1.4TC and on the lens you are using it on it will give a very good image quality indeed. Bokeh will depend a lot on your own standards as well as the focal length, aperture and (of course) distances between you and the subject and the subject and the background, so its hard to say how they will be exactly and if they will be too much for you or not.

I am pretty close most of the time anyway. Although I would be able to move a little less with the action, but I usually shoot according to the angles of the plays anyway. Maybe I was having a lazy moment, I may pick it up just because its a decent deal. Thanks for the input. I have been considering the 300mm for a while as well. As I sit and think about it, and reviewed some of last years shots I dont shoot at F2.8 like I thought I did. Most of the days during football are pretty bright. I am usually at ISO100, at least 1/500th and I usually still have to have F5.6+ in order to keep the highlights from blowing. So the DOF isnt much of a concern as I thought.

Shooting at F4 will not be a problem if you say you are close because you are using a longer focal length
This is shot at F7.1 @ 600mm from a long distance
663930337_MxLJ9-M.jpg

Most reactions

Back