I've been thinking about this exact same question and after a significant amount of research in the internet I've come to a conclusion:
Many people seem to be happy with their cheaper Sigma since it does decent job at 10mm. Dpreview has a thorough test of the Sigma and they said it does indeed work @ 10 mm when stopped down, even to f/11. BUT the Sigma is apparently much worse at range 11-16mm and anyways it has to be stopped down quite a bit at any focal length.
Sigma has "moustache" distortion at 10mm whereas Canon has more common barrel, which is easier to fix in PP.
Canon is somewhat faster (though not significantly).
Canon is more usable across it's whole focal length range.
Sigma seems to feel slightly sturdier, thouh IMO that tells nothing about how well either of them is actually built (inside).
Many, many people seem to agree that if money is not an issue and you want the best, go for the Canon. That's disappointing to me since I do want the lens to work well on all it's focal lengths, especially since Sigma's distortion may be unfixable at some situations at it's widest angle. But I certainly wouldn't want to spend an extra >200$ on UWA but it seems I'm gonna.
I hope this helps, and I would suggest you to read this:
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Though I would also appreciate other peoples opinions on this one!