Canon 10D jpeg

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,bought a canon 10D cheaply recently and it says in the instruction manual that I need special software to extract jpegs when Raw and jpeg selected. I googled a bit and it's more miss than hit getting information. I cant find anything on the canon website either but 1 blog mentioned DPP should be able to extract them.
It doesn't give a raw and jpeg file as newer models do. Does anyone know how it's done? Thanks

I'm pretty sure it will give you a regular jpeg file, if you have selected jpeg or Raw+jpeg.

I'm pretty sure it will give you a regular jpeg file, if you have selected jpeg or Raw+jpeg.

Hi Big Mike, it actually works a bit different with this model. The jpeg is "embedded" in the raw file when both raw and jpeg selected. It says in manual that special software is needed to extract the jpeg. It doesn't give seperate raw and jpeg files. It's not critical as I can process the raws or just select jpeg when necessary. I would think as its old I will find it hard to find this "special" software the manual descibes, I was just thinking someone might have an easy solution, as I bought secondhand without the software included.

Upon further research...you're right. (I apologize)

From what I just read, just about any image software will be able to open the JPEG. I've even read that you could copy the file and rename it to have a .jpg extension, and then any image software will open it like a regular Jpeg file.

And as for the 'special' software...I'd assume that they mean EOS Utility or maybe Canon Digital Photo Pro, which is the software that has shipped with their DSLR bodies for years. I don't know about the 10D, but they came with my 20D.

It's a funny beast this one, a crop sensor that won't take crop lenses and hidden secret jpegs. I can't get them out with DPP. I'll try Canon utility when I get home. Maybe that's the way. Thanks

Ya, If anyone asks me, I would tell them to avoid the 10D. It was an OK camera in it's day, but Canon hadn't quite figured it out back them. The 20D was a huge upgrade and was one of the best cameras of it's time.

Your probably right, I got it as a backup to my 50d for 100 euro which I think is about 135 dollars. It takes nice photos for the price and I would be happy to take it places where I wouldn't take the more expensive camera, like the beach or similar.

It's a funny beast this one, a crop sensor that won't take crop lenses and hidden secret jpegs. I can't get them out with DPP. I'll try Canon utility when I get home. Maybe that's the way. Thanks
Canon does some pretty off-the-wall things, even today. They always have, and always will.

Most reactions

Back