Canon 17-85mm IS USM

Scurra

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

I've recently decided to sell a few of my kit lenses to fund something a bit better, I've been looking at the Canon 17-85mm IS USM EFS. I will be using it on a 20D body.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has one and would like to share their thoughts as to the pros and cons of said lense.

Also if anyone else would like to recommend lenses in a similar price range as an alternative I would be most interested. It needs to be a zoom lens of a similar range.

Thanks in advance,

Hmm well all seems pretty quiet.

I went ahead and ordered the lens after reading some reviews online. it should arrive tomorrow so if anyone is interested i'll try it out and then post a few pictures and my thoughts on it.

You will get more replies in the equipment forum ;)

I have this lens and it's great. I didn't buy it necessarily on purpose but it came with a camera for a great price.

I love the range of this lens, it's wide enough for tight spaces or landscape type shots but has enough reach for everyday type stuff. The IS is certainly helpful and the image & build quality are good...not terrible and not top of the line...but good.

The only issue is the small max aperture. That's why I also have the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 which I use for weddings. But for personally everyday type stuff, I don't hesitate to grab my 17-85mm.

I have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which I absolutely love (and it's cheaper and faster than the Canon). I don't find the maximum focal length too small for my uses as I also have a 50-150mm f2.8

I don't do weddings and I don't do alot of portrait work. I suppose that if that was your bag, the slightly longer reach of 85mm would be nice so you don't need to change lenses.

You'll love the USM and the range. I owned this lens, and still regret selling it. I sold it for a 17-55 f/2.8 IS, but wish I had kept it around for the "everyday" type stuff that Big Mike mentioned. It's a great walkaround lens.

Review:
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_17-85_4-5p6_is_usm_c16/

I bought that lens along with my EOS 40D less than a month ago and had since been using it quite a lot. I believe IS is a must if you want to take low light photos without a tripod actually I have managed to take some quite sharp night photos while holding my camera with my bare hands xD

Most reactions

Back