Canon 1D Mark III Issues

rob171171

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All

I purchased the Canon 1D Mark III some time back and have had to send it back twice now to correct the well known autofocus issue. Mine has yet to be correctly corected.
I am now at the satge where I am unsure where to turn to. Local support tells me to send to wher I have sent before however I have no confidence in that procedure (However 'third time lucky' is tempting).
Has anyone else had similiar experiences with this body? If so could you let me know if they were resolved satisfactorily or whether you had to escalate., I am based in Ireland.

All help appreciated
Rob
www.robphoto.ie

Where is the support place telling you to send it? Is it a Canon certified dealer or Canon themselves?

I had a completely unrelated and very different problem with a Nikkor lens that the local certified support place failed to fix twice before I went into the store in an enraged mess and basically told the manager that this lens is to go directly to Nikon or to give me a new one off the shelf. Surprisingly enough I got a new one, but I did get a call later from Nikon Sydney about the serial number.

The problem is common and fixable. Get it sent to the manufacturer since everything else is a cheap stopgap. You paid for it. Paid a lot. Demand that it works or demand a full refund.

As you probably know, this is a common problem with that model.

I know a couple photographers who fought with it for a while. Most of them moved to different cameras. One upgraded to the 1Ds and one jumped ship to Nikon.

I've heard some stories of people getting them fixed and being happy but I've also heard that some people are never satisfied with this camera, even after several attempts by Canon to fix the problem.

I don't know what Canon service is like, over there, but I've heard that in North America, you can start to get some answers (and great service) once you get past the first line of customer service. So I'd suggest calling them and trying to get a manager on the line to answer your questions.

Thanks

I am going to insist on speaking with local Canon support tomorrow and escalate. They have tried in past to fob me off with sending to UK. I really want this unit replaced but not sure after having it for 13 months whether this is possible. Canon have extended the warranty to 24 months for this AF issue. Surely to God after spending over €5K on this I can expect to get this resolved!! Its gone too far now and am getting consistenly better results with my 5D.

I do not know about Canon but I have done this with other manufactures. If you can show them by runnning a side by side comparison and show your $2500 5D doing better then your $5000+ III on a CD but I Would also put it on your web site (if you have one) before you call in and give the techs the link to "Your Public Web Site" showing were a twice fixed mkIII is still out performed by your 5D. That can some times get people moving they really do not want bad PR all the time.

If it becomes a major problem and you just get tired of dealing with it, just let me know, I will give you my address so you can ship the camera to me ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back