Canon 20d and XT/350D Nearly the same?

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have been looking into a few cameras and was thinking about picking up a used canon. It seems to me that the 20d holds a few slight advantages over the XT. 1/8000 shutter v. 1/4000, 5fps v. 2.5fps, and a couple extra focus points. All else being pretty much, equal, Can anyone give me any insight as far as other differences, comfort, and ease of use?

I guess this might just come down to personal preference and price, but Id like to know if there is anything that I am overlooking.

For me the 20D is more comfortable to use, because of the control layout. The LCD on top, and the thumb wheel are something I'm very used to and prefer greatly over the rebel controls. Go hold them in the store. The 30D or 40D will have a layout very similar to the 20D.

One other major difference I can think of... Magnesium body. The 20D is generally of a much better construction. I would feel a lot more confident using a 20D for this reason.

5fps and the extra focus points are some pretty cool added features. The body also feels nicer and is more solidly constructed. That is reason enough to go with the 20D in my mind but its really up to you.

Actually, if I was buying my camera over again I would get the 30D (or 40D if I could afford it).

the 20d is much more solid and feels a lot more professional, at least to me personally. 5fps is also quite convenient, and i could be wrong, but I bet the AF is better...

i would prefer the 20D personally. Magnesium alloy body, 2.5 fps faster (and i think the contionous shooting is higher too), extra focus points, and i like the layout better. if money isn't the deciding factor then i would choose the 20D any day.

When is the last time you needed 1/8000 of a second?

When I had my camera in aperture mode and the driver suddenly swung the boat around putting the wakeboarder directly in the sun :) You don't need it but it's good to have it. The photo sucked anyway, but what if it didn't!

Even image quality the 20D has on the whole just a marginal increase. I mean the differences between 2 cameras one model apart are slight. What you pay for is the ability to drop the 20D pick it up and keep shooting. The 350D/400D along with it's plastic cousins the D40 D70 e-410 K10D etc would be unlikely to survive any serious bashing.

My D200 on the other hand has been dragged through the snow, through duststorms, down on the beach, been smashed against a cliff while rock climbing, and so far only has some surface scratches.

Yeah, I have recently held both, and I think that to 20D wins just based on the feel alone. the control layout and lack of a Display on the to bugs me a bit, so I'll probably be looking at a 20d, although my budget is a bit tight, but hell by the time I can afford it maybe the 30d will have into my price range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back