Canon 20D or 30D...advantages???

Nightsblood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I like the Canons and I think its between these two (today, anyway). I know the 20 is no longer produced and soon enough the 30 will be there with the 40 out now. Would I be at a disadvantage to choose the 20 over the 30 for technological reasons? Does the 30 have improvements that make it more desirable?

I think for now, Im just going to pick up one of these second hand with the kit lense, just to see if Im going to enjoy photography at all. I figure the 30 might have a better resale value if I should choose to resell later. If I do in fact enjoy it, I can pick up a better lense later. Ive found a few 30s with the 28-135, and thats getting favorable reviews.

Anyway, 20D or 30D?

I would go with the 20d, dont know much about either one, but I would go with the 20, it is cheaper and it doesnt seem to be that far behind

I plan on upgrading to a used 20d as soon as I get the money (shooting with a 300d)

20D to 30D not a lot of difference. Just like the 350D and 400D.

The 40D was quite an improvement though if I recall correctly.

Kind of depends on what you call "a lot" or "a little".

My 30D has a larger buffer, larger LCD and the option for 1/3 stop aperture changes. The LCD is brighter when adjusted. Supposedly a beefed-up shutter mechanism (100k actuations). It is identical as to control placement and outside appearance.

Both camera models are excellent all-round units. They take the same battery grip.

Can't go wrong with either.

Yes, they are basically the same...with a few differences.

I think the biggest differences are the size of the LCD screen and that the 30D has spot metering. I wouldn't think that the size of the LCD makes a big difference...but actually, it's a very nice upgrade on the 30D. Spot metering is nice to have, some will use it, others won't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back