Canon 24-70, is QC that terrible?

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really want to get the 24-70 f2.8L but there are numerous accounts of poor quality control. Is it really that common? Is it going to be a roll of the dice, even though it's a $1100 lens? The good copies are stellar, but I see a lot of threads on dpreview of people saying they got a bad copy, had to get it calibrated. Often times, they wouldn't get a working lens until it was replaced entirely.

Should I just not even bother, and stick with other lenses? I was planning on using this for like 90% of my shots.

many of those saying they got a bad copy, in particular on dpreview, are just incapable of handling the lens. many have no idea how to use f/2.8 ;)

On the other hand however, QC is not the best with Canon (and not the best with other companies, those are the modern times). So they are some random focus and centering issues ... but this is just related to adjusting the lens. if you got a bad copy, just get it adjusted (for free) and it will be fine.

I've been selling that lens since it was released and I have never had one returned.

If poss go to a shop and ask to take a few test shots to see if its any good.

I love mine

Yeah, I guess I'll just pick one up from a local shop, so I can trade it in for another if the first one is bad. I just saw a lot of bad reviews based on quality control on fredmiranda and dpreview.

That is one bad thing about any type of review sites. Very rarely do people who are pleased with a product give it a review - however the individuals on the opposite spectrum want the world to know of their experience :lol:.

That isn't saying there aren't QC problems with them, but, if you get a good copy you won't be going back the other way.

And as I said, if you get a bad copy, just get it fixed.

I apparently was sold a bad copy of a 24-105 f/4 L by mail order once. previous customers probably returned it. but i kept it and got it fixed for free and now all is fine :) Took Canon only a week.

you know in the 11 years I been selling Camera equipment I have never had a lens returned because it was a bad copy. I've had lenses returned because they were faulty, as in zoom or AF didn't work etc etc but never because of image quality and that includes the Canon 18-55 EF-S.
So I do wonder just how much these things get blown out of proportion because of the likes of dpreview

And as I said, if you get a bad copy, just get it fixed.

I apparently was sold a bad copy of a 24-105 f/4 L by mail order once. previous customers probably returned it. but i kept it and got it fixed for free and now all is fine :) Took Canon only a week.

Yup... the 24-105L that were initially manufactured had issues and Canon fixed them. IIRC it was a flaring issue... I was lucky enough to get mine after that run.

you know in the 11 years I been selling Camera equipment I have never had a lens returned because it was a bad copy. I've had lenses returned because they were faulty, as in zoom or AF didn't work etc etc but never because of image quality and that includes the Canon 18-55 EF-S.
So I do wonder just how much these things get blown out of proportion because of the likes of dpreview

Yeah, browsing dpreview and doing a bit of pixel-peeping is one of my guilty pleasures. I understand that it really gets me nowhere, but occasionally I find a useful piece of information.

I didn't realize how bad some of the people over there are until I saw three "How do I work my 1Ds-MkIII!??!" threads posted within an hour. Then, I lost faith in humanity.

Are you using this on a full-frame? If not, really take a look at the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS :D I'm pretty sure you were planning on buying a 5D, but in case you went crop, just had to throw this out!

Yeah, it's going on a 5D. I'm trying to stay away from EF-S lenses for the sake of compatibility. I have heard really good things about that lens though.

DP Review Forums are not fun, but I like DP Review itself a lot.

Anyway...

The first 24-70mm f/2.8 L I had was bad, it had a bad diaphragm and the aperture would not re-open after the shot. Sent it back to B&H who replaced it without incident. I've had the lens for three years since, and it's bullet-proof. Just make sure you always buy your gear from a reputable vendor.

Yeah, I'm buying most of my stuff online, but I'll be getting this lens at a local shop here in Portland. I don't think it'll be too much more, and if it does cost an additional $40 or something, it'll be worth the peace of mind.

Always a good idea to support a local shop if they are knowledgeable and helpful. Price can't be the only thing that matters.

Most reactions

Back