Canon 30D Picture style settings

AE86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello for all of you using the 30D have you played around with picture style settings? (Standard, Portrait, Landscape, etc etc.) Did you leave them as they were out of the box? Tweak them a little? or did you just make user defined ones?

I ask this because I'm having trouble capturing true sunsets. The colors look either not as intense or unnatural. This happens mostly on the sunsets with firey reds and purpley-blues (witch i find the most exciting and dramatic:er:)

I have experimented with exposures + and - with out much luck. Or is this a question of white balance? I usually shoot on the sunlight WB with sometimes shooting on the tungsten to give some crazy blues. I've even tried every WB setting just for kicks. But i still cant get it to look how it actually looks, which get me pretty bumed out when i walk away from a shoot unsatisfied.

One thing i don't really play around with is the color temp.....

I'm shooting with Canon 30D with 17-85mm IS lens with a tiffen uv/haze filter as lens glass protection.

Any help would be great!

The problem is probably the dynamic range, AE. It is too great for the camera to be able to capture the extremes in the one exposure. You may need a tripod, and either a GND filter, or applying HDRI to merge a bracketed sequence of exposures.

Thanks for the info. I use my tri-pod if i have it. Also i do bracket the shots, but i haven't played around with HDR image software.

As for being to dynamic i guess that could be the cause, but i also find other shots are not a vivid and full of color like i think they should be.

I would like some 30D users input on if they have changed any of the picture style settings and if so to what and where they find it works best on.

Most reactions

Back