Canon 50 mm 1.4 or 1.8??

Agree, If we started to have people reporting their working 50mm f/1.8 that last over 3-5 years, this thread maybe flooded.

Personally, I really do not think going to the F1.4 just based on the build quality. If the F/1.4 is 3x the cost of F/1.8, then for the same amount of money, I can buy 3 f/1.8s. And I am sure they should last longer than the single f/1.4 under normal use.

hmm is there a huge difference in af speed and noise between regular micromotor and USM?

yes.... people call the 50mm f/1.8 "zippy" for a reason. It is one of the reasons for the increased cost of the f/1.4 version.

IMO... the difference is not a big deal.. Pretty much think about your budget and buy accordingly. Both are good lenses. Selling the f/1.8 and upgrading to the f/1.4 isn't a big "loss" in money since the lens is pretty darn inexpensive. If you decide that you are happy with the f/1.8 then you just saved yourself a couple hundred USD.

In my case, I actually MADE a profit from my f/1.8 (Mark I, metal mount version) before going to the f/1.4 (mostly for better bokeh). I had the MarkI 50mm zippy for about 4 years prior.

yes.... people call the 50mm f/1.8 "zippy" for a reason. It is one of the reasons for the increased cost of the f/1.4 version.

IMO... the difference is not a big deal.. Pretty much think about your budget and buy accordingly. Both are good lenses. Selling the f/1.8 and upgrading to the f/1.4 isn't a big "loss" in money since the lens is pretty darn inexpensive. If you decide that you are happy with the f/1.8 then you just saved yourself a couple hundred USD.

In my case, I actually MADE a profit from my f/1.8 (Mark I, metal mount version) before going to the f/1.4 (mostly for better bokeh). I had the MarkI 50mm zippy for about 4 years prior.

hehe I have only heard of the mk1 version of 50 f/1.8 lens but I have seen and held the mk2 version which I think would probably be good for the Rebel series but kinda too small for bigger dslr like 40D or 5D

The MK1 version is about the same size as the current version. It has a very slightly better build including a metal mount and DOF range window.

Mine was used extensively on a 1d MarkII which is significantly larger than the 40D and 5D. Who cares? It worked well...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back