What's new

Highlights in Outdoor People Shots?

William Baroo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 30, 2023
Messages
255
Reaction score
34
Location
FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took some outdoor shots in preparation for some family photos. I wanted to see how well the light and background worked and so on before getting everyone cleaned up and dressed for the real shoot.

Of course, things went wrong. By the time I was able to get my subjects outside to the place I had chosen, the sun had moved, so I had to move them over to a place where there were some weeds in the shot.

I didn't put much effort in. I didn't do much more than pointing and shooting. I didn't intend to keep any of the test shots, but one came out so well, I edited and kept it. It could have been sharper, but I consider it sharp enough.

When I asked for criticism, I was told the highlights on the mother were a problem. Is that really true, or is it nitpicking? I don't know how perfect photos can be, when you are stuck using human beings and variables that are hard to deal with. I don't know how much better I can do outdoors.

This is all the bokeh I could squeeze out of a Sigma 24-70mm Art 2.8. Ordinarily, I'm not all that excited about bokeh, but at this time of year, the foliage doesn't look great, so I thought I should hide that fact.

A7400521 fasttstone2.webp
 
Thanks for the help. I don't really know how much I can expect from bokeh. I am trying to get it all straight; aperture, distance, and so on, and what I can hope for with various focal lengths.

I tried fiddling with the highlights in Photolab, but it wasn't very effective. Is it realistic to expect to get rid of them in a person with this type of skin?
 
The highlights aren't that bad and should be able to be taken care of in post. Never used Photolab but I'm sure there's a Youtube tutorial for it somewhere.

For getting right in camera keep translucent setting powder. Apply it right before the you start to shoot. It will get rid of almost all of the highlights.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom