Canon 50mm primes

Payt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have decided to invest in one of these.

Canon 50mm f/1.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=12140&is=USA

See, my original plan was to go with the 1.8 after it caught my eye; it's a real cheap lens with good ratings, and something that I'd get a load of use out of. But now I have discovered the 1.4, which costs almost 300 bucks and has USM.

Now... who can tell me how big of a difference there is between the two? Obviously there is a price difference, but is that simply due to the USM and extra .4 to min aperture? Is there a noticeable difference in quality? Or would I get a bigger bang for my buck if I bought the 1.8 for only $75? And how is the autofocus on the 1.8?

Your thoughts on this matter are appreciated.

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Photos OK to edit
The f1.4 version has
* more aperture blades = smoother bokeh
* USM motor versus the noisier slower micro motor
* much better build

Both are excellent lenses.. I usually say ....

got the extra money to burn.. go ahead with the f1.4
on a budget... go ahead with the f1.8

jstuedle

Reaction score
Website
www.picture-daddy.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would think the Canon version is like Nikon's, substantially better build quality. The extra 1/3 stop of light might be the difference between getting the shot or not. Also the shallower DOF can help isolate the subject a little easier, but that would be a very small difference.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I have decided to invest in one of these.
I think 'invest' is the key word here. The 50mm F1.4 is more of an investment because it's made to last longer and/or stand up to more use. The F1.8, is a good lens but it's made to be cheap and light.

Of course, you could consider the 50mm F1.2 L. It's well over 10 times as expensive as the F1.8 :D

PatriK-b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.patrik-b.fr
Photos NOT OK to edit
it's made to be cheap and light.
Absolutely. For me, it's a way to always have a good prime in my bag. Because it's light and cheap, I carry the 50-1.8II with me in all situations.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
I agree, it's so affordable that every EOS owner should have one....but if you have a better lens, then it just won't get used.

I have the older 50mm F1.8 I (metal mount)...and I haven't used it at all, in the last year or more, especially since getting my Sigma 30mm F1.4

Alex_B

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am pretty happy with my 50mm f/1.4 .. never tried the 1.8 though, so I cannot compare. but people seem to like it as well.

Hubertus Bigend

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The f/1.8 is perfectly fine, though the f/1.4 is a lot more "solid".

salexander867

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I struggled with the same decision for a couple of weeks. The low price on the 1.8 was almost too much to pass up, but my 1.4 just arrived today. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, I have too much work to do to take many shots tonight, but I cannot wait to get some indoor portraits going with this lens.

Sideburns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have the 1.8, and it's amazing. But if I had the cash, and didn't have the 1.8, I'd get the 1.4 in a second. 1.4 compared to 1.8 is a lot of light. It's actually TWO THIRDS of a stop...so...

It's not a bad choice to get either lens..but if you have the cash, the 1.4 is a great little performer.

OP
Payt

Payt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Excellent, thanks for all the great advice and information guys. I'll most likely go for the 1.4, for the sake of quality and durability.

Most reactions