Canon 550D/50D/7D as 1st DSLR?

I favor primes so much more over Zooms. I admit though that quality of zooms have really gone up in recent years. Right now I own only 2 for the wide focal lengths. I really like em, but will probably replace with primes at some point, probably after my 85 and 100.

Bah, forgot to add that the reson for suggesting primes over zooms is of composure and having to think about your shots before taking them. Most people with zooms don't do this. They just zoom and shoot. By taking the time and slowing down you can see if a distracting element is in the photograph you use you feet to "Zoom" often giving much better results than if you did have a zoom and did that instead. I fully believe these new cameras should be supplied with a 35mm prime instead of the zooms they come with. the 35 being about a 50mm on crop sensor cameras. But then most people would not buy them as everyone is set on zooms. A shame really.

I always love this guy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOcJaHX8x4c&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

06:05 The stop at the ice cream truck named Mobile Softee was nice

06:36 "It even tastes like Britain... there's slightly funny hint of sweet and sour" (great ice cream they have there!)

06:55, "Oh no, I'm creaming myself!!!"

07:08 "Another bonus of the 50D, is the high continuous burst rate, of 6.3 frames per second--listen to this (click-click-click-click!) OHHHH! Which is bound to make you more attractive to the opposite sex...if they like cameras, that is....click-click-clikc-YEAH! You like that baby? Oh,my God!"

07:35 " (click-click-click-click!) OHHHHHH! It's making me cream myself. I'm making a mess of myself here. So the 50D would seem like the obvious choice wouldn't it? Well, no, not really..."

LOL i like at 9:47 when he's baning the 50D on the railing :p

Thanks everyone for your input! I didn't have access to the internet since I asked that and come back to 4 pages worth.

50D sounds like a steal at the price it is now, the shops here have mostly sold out but I have seen it online,except how do I know which to buy as some stores have "japan version" ? Does that mean it's made for the Japan market so is in Japanesse?

I would like to have video aswell...so maybe I should just go for 550D, as it would be lighter to carry around etc, esp that I'am a begginer. I can always 'upgrade' later to a 5D mark II or 7D..or 60D??! (if that is comming, as the people in the camera store tryed to tell me that the 7D and 50D is pretty much identical, there is no point in Canon bringing out a 60D) There is a difference ofcourse I think she just tryed to explain it to me in the lamest terms...never mind!

If I was to get the 550D what kit should I go for to start with? Unles someone can convince me to just get a 50D body and a lens?

I like taking portraits (50mm?) ,animals, scenery, night events /parties etc.

I also saw there is a ef 15mm f2.8fish eye. Would that fit a 550D or is that only for a full body camera like a 50D /7D /5D etc etc...

Speaking of "the OP"...one post, on the 3rd of August...no follow-ups...do I smell something very under-the-bridge-like here? Is this just another wind-up thread?

o_O:confused:
There is nothing inflamatory in the OP's post - nothing to suggest that it is anything but a simple question being asked. Not everyone checks the net every day and its only been 3 days. Heck the OP might have read the forum several times since then without logging in.

Any winding up was done long before this thread was started and the toys were already well wound before the discussion here got under way. ;)

Yea, I haven't been able to get online, and today I read the whole 4 pages without signing in....forgot my password!!! Had to get one to be sent to my email.:lol::lol:

The 15mm fisheye is for a FF camera. As far as lenses go I would start with the kit zoom and work on your pictures first. Different photographers see the world different ways and will offer lens opinions based on their personal preferences. What works for them you may find limiting. After a while you will find yourself using certain areas of the focal range a lot or desiring certain features that your lens doesn't provide; you would then be in a better situation to determine what will fill your needs and can get specific advise to help you fill that (as yet undetermined) need. Bear in mind that these camera companies spend a decent amount of coin determining what focal lengths would be most desirable for the camera's intended market so while the kit lens may not do everything you want it to it will be a workhorse of a lens.

Hmm...

Here is what I suggest with that budget:

-Canon T2i/550d (body only)
-Canon f/1.4 prime lens
-Quality Camera Bag (I like Lowerpro)
-Quality Tripod and Tripod head (check out flashpoint for a nice meeting between quality and price)
-High Class SD Card(s)
-Extra Battery
-UV Filter (I like Hoya)

That will probably put you a little above your budget but it's a great starting set up.

Is this the lens you mean?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00009XVCZ/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1]Customer Image Gallery for Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras[/ame]

if you're going to get a 50d, get a used one on ebay. Try to get the body only. Then, if you want a cheap fast zoom that will work for portraits, get the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. body and lens together would be under $1000 if you look hard enough.

if you're going to get a 50d, get a used one on ebay. Try to get the body only. Then, if you want a cheap fast zoom that will work for portraits, get the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. body and lens together would be under $1000 if you look hard enough.

I would advise new, and if used go Amazon. Much more assurance I don't use ebay hardly at all anymore just for rare times I need something odd and cant find anywhere else. The 50D price will keep dropping as the new models (Hopefully Wed) are announced. I love mine and just might get another instead of the 7D or 60D. Waiting to see what specs that brings. For kit lenses I would take the 28-135 OS it's a fantastic lens in many ways, sure it has its limitations but for only 100 bucks more over the body alone you can't go wrong in my opinion. As I said on another post I have been thinking of buying this lens again its cheap used about 250 and its light weight and fairly sharp for a lens in this price range and the OS comes in real nice. Hope this helps good luck

When it comes to bodies I would only consider used (by an anonymous user) from Adorama or B&H; they have limited warranties that last long enough for you to get the camera out and shoot with it for a while to make sure everything is working well. E-bay can be a crap shoot.

I also use B&H and Adarama sometimes and would recommend them. They have always gave good service and fast shipping. I would also stay away from Japan or any other version on gear. Probably nothing wrong with it but might as well get US unless you live in another country. Easier on warranties and what not though if going used you dont have those usually, but still...

Most reactions

Back