Thanks everyone for your input! I didn't have access to the internet since I asked that and come back to 4 pages worth.
50D sounds like a steal at the price it is now, the shops here have mostly sold out but I have seen it online,except how do I know which to buy as some stores have "japan version" ? Does that mean it's made for the Japan market so is in Japanesse?
I would like to have video aswell...so maybe I should just go for 550D, as it would be lighter to carry around etc, esp that I'am a begginer. I can always 'upgrade' later to a 5D mark II or 7D..or 60D??! (if that is comming, as the people in the camera store tryed to tell me that the 7D and 50D is pretty much identical, there is no point in Canon bringing out a 60D) There is a difference ofcourse I think she just tryed to explain it to me in the lamest terms...never mind!
If I was to get the 550D what kit should I go for to start with? Unles someone can convince me to just get a 50D body and a lens?
I like taking portraits (50mm?) ,animals, scenery, night events /parties etc.
I also saw there is a ef 15mm f2.8fish eye. Would that fit a 550D or is that only for a full body camera like a 50D /7D /5D etc etc...