Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Lens Recommendations

tommynthompson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am planning to purchase a 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS lens. My question is should I purchase the older version or the newer version. If I purchase the older one, I would have the money remaining to purchase another item such as a flash or extender, etc. Otherwise, the purchase of the newer lens would be that alone. From what I have read, the newer lens is outstanding and worth every penny. Any comments are welcome and thanks in advance.

I purchased the older version (IS I) about a week ago and the quality is outstanding. I think it comes down to they $$ difference.

Thanks for the comment. My mother gave me the money for the newest version for my birthday so it's not a matter of money. I am just curious about anyone's opinions about whether I would be better served to purchase the older version and purchase additional accessories or go for the newer and save for accessories.

Well although I use the non IS version (don't need it, and the extra weight matters when you're lugging it around along with a ton of other gear all day!) I did use the original IS version for a while, and it's a great performer, so I suppose it comes down to what you shoot and whether the extra kit you can get by going for the older version will be more useful to you.

I've owned both and used on a crop sensor. The mkII is way sharper at f2.8 throughout the zoom range. I was disapointed with the mkI and very very happy with the mkII. I could have had a bad copy on the mkI so you could factor that in but if you have the money I say get the mkII.

My main purpose for purchase is to shoot high quality shots of my children during sporting events, both indoor and outdoor, and their other activities. I also like to shoot wildlife and landscapes.

My main purpose for purchase is to shoot high quality shots of my children during sporting events, both indoor and outdoor, and their other activities. I also like to shoot wildlife and landscapes.

Get the MII - don't even worry about the MI (its a fantastic lens don't get my wrong, the newer is just better) and then for your next expense get yourself a 2*TC (MII or if you want to splash out the MIII). You'll have a 140-400mm lens from the combo which is pretty much as good as good copy of the 100-400mm L. Ideal for a wildlife shooting lens.
Further with the 2*TC you can get a good close up shot of subjects as well as take the TC off for a 70-200mm that is fantastically sharp and great for landscape work.

Most reactions

Back