Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS

Rhys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anybody else got this lens? I'm struggling to get sharp photos from it. I don't think I've managed to get anything sharp from it at 300mm.

Has anybody else got this lens? I'm struggling to get sharp photos from it. I don't think I've managed to get anything sharp from it at 300mm.

The easiest way is to sell it and buy a 70-200 f/4. Other than that? Maybe try f/9 - f/whatever? Should help a little bit. 70-300's are notorious for being soft though.

My 70-300 Tamron was sharp enough but had some turquoise fringing issues and refused to cooperate with my camera 50% of the time. This one seems so soft!

Shooting at 300mm is a skill that usually needs to be learned and/or practiced. Even with IS, you should be using a fairly fast shutter speed.

Oh...I see that you have had a Tamron 300mm...so you do have some experience. :scratch: I don't know then.

These zooms are usually not at their best at the ends of their range...but I've heard some good things about this lens. Maybe you could post some examples (with EXIF).

I found my Tamron 300mm f5.6 AD2 wasn't that sharp so I'm wondering whether it's the complete genre of 300mm lenses that just aren't that great.

Well...if you mean 70(ish) to 300mm zoom lenses with small apertures...then I'd agree that they are not a great genre.

If you want a 300mm F2.8 L...well then, that will be one very sharp 300mm lens.

The 300mm f4 is also another good sharp lens at 300mm and is not as damaging to the bank balance.
As for the 70-300mm lenses I think the 300mm end really needs a tripod to ensure good sharp results. After that I would not go crazy with subject range either, but with IS you should be able to get some sharp shots I would have thought?

What are your settings? ISO, Shutterspeed, aperature, etc. Tripod or handheld? IS mode? When I used that lens, i had sharpness issues until I stopped it down to like f/7.1- 8. At that speed, the ISO was jacked up so I could get a usable shutterspeed over 1/300.
The 70-300 f/4-5.6 DO is a great piece of glass. Much sharper than any other 70-300 I have seen.

70-300 f4-5.6 IS

Settings: sharpening: 0
f5.6
300mm
1/6th exposure.
IS mode 1
Tripod mounted.
Triggered via self-timer.

It's a pretty hopeless lens!
2608563851_bd77ca81fd_o.jpg

o

ah but all lenses have a use - you just have to do a bit more searching to find out what it is. I would also say that the 70-300mm tend to not be useful in the areas that they tend to get advertised in being used for -
For example the sigma 70-300mm is useless after abou 5-6m for getting reliable sharp results even when on a tripod. Within that distance a tripod mount and you get get some very nice sharp results, but the 300m end can still be soft on occasion. But take the lens and use it (on tripod) for flower heads and its a wonder.
You just have to find what the canon 70-300mm can do for you.

Also correct me, but IS and a tripod?? I thought that IS and a tripod is a complete no no as the IS starts to compensate for camera shake when it is not there and gives blurry results.

I never have a problem with IS on a tripod with my 17-85 IS. I have had problems with the IS on my 70-300 - once only but I mounted the lens, switched the camera on and the lens started whirring. I looked through the viewfinder to see the image jumping about. The IS had gone bananas! I shall retry that shot with better light. I left it quite late yesterday and just realised that I'd left the camera on i-af rather than single-shot. Generally I find i-af screws up with static shots and lags badly for moving shots.

OK. I tried some more photos with that lens. This time, handheld. Again mode 1 stabiliser. This time sharpening is set to 3 in DPP. ISO was 100.

It seems that at 300mm, infinity is falling a bit short of expectations. The pier is about 300 yards away and the lifeguard was maybe 75 yards away.

2610197333_9d3865060f.jpg

Exposure for the above: 1/320 f8.

2611031738_bb337b68dc.jpg

Exposure for the above 1/400 f8.

Interesting to note how a closer image seems sharper. There cannot have been much haze as the photo was taken at midday on the East coast of the US. The sea won't have had time to heat up.

Have you tried downloading the lens sharpness chart? Search for it and print it out and test the lens. I had sharpness issues with the 70-300 IS I had but just returned it for a 70-200 f/4L.
The 1/6th exposure is iffy. No usable image at that setting unless the mount is rock solid and there is no wind or vibration. You are also wide open so IQ is not going to be the greatest.

I probably will get a 70-200 f4L IS t some point. My 17-85 IS is the best lens I ever bought and I prefer it to my Tamron 28-75.

Given enough business income from my photography business, I shall be able to get that lens.

I have this lens and though it as not as good as my L lenses it is no slouch either.
Here are some examples of what you can expect. All were taken at 300mm
TuesdayMarch13020.jpg

sundaymarch11016.jpg

FieldTraining009.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back