Canon 70D vs 77D vs 80D vs (insert model here). Thoughts on which one to get?

Kriscius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

So I've been looking into getting myself a DSLR again. I used to have a 600D which I sadly had to sell. Now first thing's first - I'd primarily be looking into shooting urban environments, landscapes, automotive (both still and action) and some night sky. I might occasionally do some videos, however, the prime purpose would be photography. Keep in mind that all of these options would be purchased used.

I've narrowed down my search into the following bodies:
  • Canon 77D - The newest option, comes with the new sensor, which can bump up the ISO into 52K extended (I think). This resonates with me, as previously I found myself shooting quite a lot in dark conditions. However, 52K is quite a lot. Do you think it's even usable at this point, or would I just go into too much grain after let's say 16K anyway, meaning that the high bump in ISO is just not worth it? Also, the camera has a big bump in focal points.
  • Canon 80D - Has a faster shutter speed (8K when compared to 4K of the 77D). Also, can take one extra frame more than 77D when shooting continuously. Has a larger battery (I think) as well. However, the sensor is older and the ISO doesn't go up as much. Once again, is it worth going with the 80Ds extra 1/8000 shutter speed over the bump in ISO, or such bright conditions are rarely apparent (maybe it's just more worth it getting a lens filter instead)? Also, the camera has a big bump in focal points.
  • Canon 5D mk II - I know this is a completely different option than the two above. Full frame vs crop sensor. However, this body has been getting a lot cheaper lately, meaning it fits the budget. Is it worth getting the 5D instead of the newer crop sensors? Given the fact that the model is quite old, all the used ones would also have quite a lot of mileage
  • Canon 70D - Cheapest option with the least number of new features on the list. But I've been thinking, maybe the 77D and 80D, even though good cameras are at all worth getting? Maybe it's better to get a used 70D with some lenses already thrown in?
Maybe there are some models that I should be looking into, that I've not considered? I do like canon products most though.

Please keep in mind that all I'd do is amateur photography, no professional work. Weight, though a plus, isn't a deal breaker.

Thanks for all your help!

Shooting in LOW light, you want the highest usable ISO that the camera can give you.
I shoot high school night field and gym sports, and with a f/5.6 lens, I have to be up at ISO 12800 or higher.
I tell my students that high ISO noise is preferable to subject motion blur from too slow a shutter speed.
A FAST lens compensates for a lower ISO camera. A f/2.8 lens lets me shoot at 2 stops lower ISO (3200) than a f/5.6 lens (12800).
In general, newer cameras have better low light performance than older cameras. And FF better than APS-C sensors, of the same technology age. Harder to compare old FF vs. modern APS-C. I only look at the standard range, not the extended range.
So think if LOW light photography will be something that you have to deal with, which sounds like it might.

IMHO, 8k vs 4k max shutter speed is not relevant, unless you are shooting FAST motor sports at close distance, and want to freeze the action.
1 FPS max continuous speed difference is minor, unless you are shooting fast sports. Besides, the faster the max frame rate, the more images you have to edit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back