Canon 90D Released!

sales of serious cameras have really taken a nosedive over the past year. We are no longer in an era in which an automatic follow up is to be expected. I predict that The Canon 7D Mark III might be quite a while in coming, just as Nikon took what seemed to be an eternity between the D300 and the D500.

Derrel do you mean the EF series lenses will not fit the new EOS 90D DSLR? Confused here.

No, I was referring to the M-series mirrorless lenses. The M series is The small size sensor mirrorless offering from Canon... The lens lineup for the M series is extremely limited.

above beagle was talking about how fast the M6 fires, but what good is a camera that has four slow consumer zoom lenses, a single 35 mm prime, and a 23 mm macro lens for sports use? No 70 to 200? No 200? No 300? No 85? The M-series is basically for people who want a very small and light camera, and do not need decent lenses. Sure,there is an adapter that allows you to use EF lenses on M series cameras, but let's be real here: the M-series has been out for years now, and is a tepid seller. At any time Canon could stop production of the M-series cameras and no one would care. A camera that has been out for it half a decade, and which has not really gained any degree of acceptance, and is selling so slowly that Canon still has only few slow zooms and two oddball prime lenses after roughly 5 years in production… That speaks to a serious lack of commitment to the small format mirrorless on the part of Canon.

And for a serious photographer, they removed the integrated EVF.
Ever try shooting fast action sports or kids with the back screen, especially with a longer lens. For me it is an exercise in frustration. Maybe the cell phone kids are better at it than me.

according to some people mirrorless cameras are the best cameras for every situation, and can use any lens perfectly...I am kind of surprised that the Canon corporation is wasting its time with yet another flapping mirror camera in the long line of the D-series cameras… Apparently they don't read enough TPF at Canon, Japan headquarters.lol.

Personally, I think that that 90D represents a new milestone in the serious amateur segment, with some of the capabilities of formerly high-end
,top-flight professional cameras. Having an optical viewfinder and 10 frame per second firing rate, plus a 32-megapixel aps-c sensor will make the 90D a good choice for a lot of photographers.

Double edged sword.
I was shooting a HS tennis match last week with my Olympus EM1 at 9.5fps, a similar frame rate to the 90D.
I ended the day with 900 images. :eek: WAY TOO MANY.
My normal shot count with my 6 fps D7200 is 400-500 images per game.

I usually do two, sometimes 3 culling cycles, to get the final count down to about 100-125. This is what I upload to the yearbook library.
  • Culling from 900 is harder and more time consuming than culling from 400.
  • Culling can be hard as I sometime have to cut pics that I like. But it forces me to select the best of the best.
  • I have to make sure I have an even representation of all the players. I try to not have an over representation of any one player, which is sometimes hard to do.
  • I don't normally cull a player completely OUT. I try to have at least one shot of the player. But this condition tells me that I need to watch for and shoot more of that player the next time.

I can see the problem, but imo it's better than the opposite problem. My t6i shoots 5fps. At a recent birthday party I photographed a water balloon fight. I got a few really cool pictures of balloons breaking on people, but way more often I would get the before and after, but not the actual best picture... Not entirely a fps issue, as it was also a buffer issue, but the 90d also has 5x the buffer vs my T6i (27 vs 6)

I can see the problem, but imo it's better than the opposite problem. My t6i shoots 5fps. At a recent birthday party I photographed a water balloon fight. I got a few really cool pictures of balloons breaking on people, but way more often I would get the before and after, but not the actual best picture... Not entirely a fps issue, as it was also a buffer issue, but the 90d also has 5x the buffer vs my T6i (27 vs 6)

the new Canon M6 II has a 30 FPS rate ... until buffer maxes out

Unfortunately the M-series from Canon has very few lenses available, despite having been in production for over five years. Currently there are only two prime lenses available…a 35 mm and a 23 mm macro...and a few pokey consumer zoom lenses. It seems as if Canon is not very committed to the M-series. It would seem that Canon views the M-series as an afterthought. This year,2019, Canon has not released a single lens in the EF mount nor in the M-mount,but has concentrated all of its efforts on the new full frame mirrorless System… you know the new full frame that lacks in-body image stabilization… the new full frame that is behind Nikon and Sony.

Last edited:

the new Canon M6 II has a 30 FPS rate ... until buffer maxes out

And the older Olympus EM1-mk2 will do 60 FPS with the e-shutter.

A little info I had previously missed: "The Canon EOS 7Dmkii..... has been a very popular model and Canon U.S.A. has confirmed that the 90D is not it's replacement." So now I'm in two minds whither to pull the trigger or wait. Or I may yet decide just to buy a 5Dmkiv.

from Canon EOS 90D Review

Last edited:
their review sounds extremely good. This looks like one heck of a performance camera, for a very good price. I expect that it will give the Nikon D 500 a real run for its money in the mid-level segment of the market. It looks like an extremely capable "do everything "offering.

The 90D vs the 5D mk IV. That's a no contest right there. The 5d4 is hands down the better camera, not even close.

You can get great images and do video with both but the difference of the images of a crop sensor vs a full frame, well it's just better.

there is no comparison between a full frame camera and a crop sensor camera in terms of maximum image quality in the worst situations. However we need to see just how well
this new Canon 32.5 megapixel sensor performs.

this sensor might perform extremely well… Time will tell

Most reactions

New Topics

Back