Canon 90D Released!

I think another thing that we should consider is generation of sensor. The new 90D has a new sensor, from a new generation of sensor technology, and for example let's consider the Sony Exmor sensors introduced into cameras in the year 2007; these sensors simply were much better than earlier generation models. For example if we were to compare two sensors,one five years newer than the other,it's more or less even money that the newer one will outperform the older, even though both might be of the same megapixel class.

Thanks @Derrel
I think I will recommend getting a 90D.
That can be our top-end camera, for when we need more resolution, like the class panorama pic.
And the 10fps would definitely be a help in some sports.

10 frames per second… That will get you one more frame to choose from in many sports type situations, such as track and field or volleyball or baseball. Years ago when Canon introduced its first 10 frames per second camera, it was found in the 1Ds series, which at the time cost several thousand dollars.

At about the same time Nikon offered the D2X, which in its high speed crop mode, offered 8.2 frames per second at 6.7 megapixels, in a camera that cost me $5000 in 2005In it's full resolution
mode the D2x shot at five frames per second.

At both Rob Galbraith.com and sportsshooter.com, the feeling was that 10 frames per second offered you another frame to choose from in peak action scenarios. 10 frames per second is not fast enough to just machine gun, but if you are actively trying to time your shots, most experienced shooters felt that the 10 frames per second offered them something of real value. Here we are about 15 years later, and we now can get 10 frames per second at 32 megapixels for around $1200… Camera throughput has really been boosted to a new level!

Thanks @Derrel
That can be our top-end camera, for when we need more resolution, like the class panorama pic.

sure, and the new Canon M6 ii can do 30 fps or 14 ... if one is counting
(no flapping mirror !)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Thanks @Derrel

(no flapping mirror !)

With an add-on EVF, sticking up and just waiting to get broken.
No thanks, I prefer an integrated EVF.

I am currently using the 7D original and am finally considering upgrading to either the 7 Mk 2 or the 3 if it ever comes out (unlikely?) or the 90D.

I am unsure how much longer I want to wait for a 7D Mk 3. Probably not going to happen so let’s ignore that. Do you think the 90D has a auto focus system on par with 7D Mk 2? I would hope so. I guess a better question would be, what does the 7D Mk 2 have that’s better than the 90D if anything?

I am currently using the 7D original and am finally considering upgrading to either the 7 Mk 2 or the 3 if it ever comes out (unlikely?) or the 90D.

I am unsure how much longer I want to wait for a 7D Mk 3. Probably not going to happen so let’s ignore that. Do you think the 90D has a auto focus system on par with 7D Mk 2? I would hope so. I guess a better question would be, what does the 7D Mk 2 have that’s better than the 90D if anything?

The 90D is the replacement for the 7Dmkii and the 80D rolled into one. Though I'm dissapointed to loose the numbering (weird I know but I'm quite fond of that). The 90D should see a slight performance increase over the 7dmkii and quite a big step up from the 7Dmk1 which is the camera I'm using too.

Lab tests aren't out yet but it looks really good on paper.

The 90D is the replacement for the 7Dmkii and the 80D rolled into one. Though I'm dissapointed to loose the numbering (weird I know but I'm quite fond of that). The 90D should see a slight performance increase over the 7dmkii and quite a big step up from the 7Dmk1 which is the camera I'm using too.

Lab tests aren't out yet but it looks really good on paper.

I know that was the rumor, but I don't believe it. In a few respects the 90d is a downgrade from the 7d mkII, like AF points and gps, etc. I think we will see a 7d mkIII, or maybe they just let the line die, then the 90d does become the defacto upgrade, but if that's the case the 80d was the real upgrade to the 7dmkII.....

Thanks @Derrel

(no flapping mirror !)
there are currently only eight lenses for the M system, and six are slow consumer grade zooms, and only two are primes, with one of them being a 35 mm and the other being a short macro lens. The M system appears to be aimed at moms and dads.

Derrel do you mean the EF series lenses will not fit the new EOS 90D DSLR? Confused here.

I know that was the rumor, but I don't believe it. In a few respects the 90d is a downgrade from the 7d mkII, like AF points and gps, etc. I think we will see a 7d mkIII, or maybe they just let the line die, then the 90d does become the defacto upgrade, but if that's the case the 80d was the real upgrade to the 7dmkII.....

Point taken, Roger Machin (a production manager for Canon) hints at a 7D mkiii being currently too expensive to produce in this video (at around 4:20) while saying the 90D is an upgrade for the 80D and would make a nice 2nd camera for a 7D mkii shooter.

But he also suggests that the 80D was so close to the 7Dmkii that it hurt the sales of the 7Dmkii and that the 7Dmkii would be on the market for some time to come.

So it's not clear if he was just trying not to hurt future sales of the 7Dmkii or if there is a replacement planned and it's not on the horizon yet. Maybe they are waiting to see if consumers will switch to the 90D or if they'll hang on for the replacement before making the call to not release a 7Dmkiii.

For me it's enough of an upgrade from the 7Dmk1. Sure 65 AF points would be great but I'd be happy with 45 and more cross type AF points than the single 1 in the 7Dmkii. GPS has never mattered to me. The only thing I really think that would give me pause is the single card slot, but maybe they've decided to keep that for the professional bodies.

Derrel do you mean the EF series lenses will not fit the new EOS 90D DSLR? Confused here.

EF lenses should fit the 90D

I think Derrel was referring to native M-mount APS-C lenses, for the M6. Which are of a "consumer" grade, similar to EF-S lenses for APS-C dSLRs.
Even there you can use an EF to M adapter to use your EF lenses on the M6.

Well I've been waiting for the 7D III too but the reality is I definitely under use the abilities of my 7D II. It certainly would be nice to get 32mp and shave half a pound off my walk around bird setup.

No, I was referring to the M-series mirrorless lenses. The M series is The small size sensor mirrorless offering from Canon... The lens lineup for the M series is extremely limited.

above beagle was talking about how fast the M6 fires, but what good is a camera that has four slow consumer zoom lenses, a single 35 mm prime, and a 23 mm macro lens for sports use? No 70 to 200? No 200? No 300? No 85? The M-series is basically for people who want a very small and light camera, and do not need decent lenses. Sure,there is an adapter that allows you to use EF lenses on M series cameras, but let's be real here: the M-series has been out for years now, and is a tepid seller. At any time Canon could stop production of the M-series cameras and no one would care. A camera that has been out for it half a decade, and which has not really gained any degree of acceptance, and is selling so slowly that Canon still has only few slow zooms and two oddball prime lenses after roughly 5 years in production… That speaks to a serious lack of commitment to the small format mirrorless on the part of Canon.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back