Canon built in flash help!

kaseamfoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a problem with getting the built in flash to work after I attach the 430ex ii speedlite. When I detach the external flash from the camera, the build in flash does not work nor does it pop up. Also, when I go to the flash setting on the camera, it says that I can't make any changes to the built in flash since there is a external flash attached the to camera even though I detached the external from the camera.

I have experienced this problem before, I know what causes it, unfortunately it's hard t fix.

If you look closely at the camera's hot shoe mount, you'll see one (or two, depending on model) little pin switches. Their purpose is to be pushed down when an external flash is mounted, to stop the pop-up flash from popping up. On my 400d, one of them became stuck stubbornly in the down position so I was no longer able to use the popup flash. Personally I wasn't really worried about that since I had a 430EX and pop-up flashes are horrible generally, but if you want to fix it I suggest spraying some electrical lubricant in there (carefully) and trying to wiggle it loose with a pin or something similar.

Good luck fixing it, if you can't then don't worry too much, just use the speedlight.

They are underneath a bent-up strip of metal at the edges. Read the link above

Most reactions

Back