Canon d650d or Nikon d90

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at buying a dslr and for the money I have it seems that its either the canon 650d or the Nikon d90. Just wondered what other people's opinions are and if they have used these cameras and what one you would opt for out of these two.

Also the canon 650d goes upto a higher iso setting (12800 verses 3200 on the Nikon) so you would think light sensitivity is better on the canon but on a comparison website it says there is lower iso noise on the Nikon d90 (977iso verses 722iso on the canon) not sure what this means, does it mean that although you have higher iso settings on the canon it is noisy at lower iso settings than on the Nikon?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Coming from someone who has owned both, I would recommend (based on the idea that you don't already have Nikon gear) the 650d.

This is big "misery"of modern beginners: high iso. But in real life you will begin to care about the other subjects of attention, which now you somehow think in the second turn: small viewfinder, comfortable grip and...

...usability of video.

IMHO, you should forget about the ISO and start thinking about more practical things, because ISO is the same for all matrices of size APS-C if you want to photograph and not to engage in examining the 100%-th crop.

And now you can choose one of the two: d90 for photo or 650d with 18-135 STM (maybe canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM ) for photo and video.

I think so...

While the Canon 650D is adjustable to ISO 12800, it doesn't mean that ISO 12,800 is actually usable.

As can be seen in this independent testing lab's image sensor performance comparison, the Nikon D90 out performs the Canon T4i (650D) in low-light ISO capability, color depth, and dynamic range.
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Nikon announced the D90 on August 27, 2008. Canon announced the 500D (T1i) March 25, 2009, and with their 4th try - the T4i - still hasn't produced a mid entry-level DSLR camera that has as good an image sensor as the D90 has.

Yep! DxOMark only compares image sensor performance, and no other camera features.

Since the Nikon D90 was the first DSLR camera to have video mode, significant strides have been made since the D90 was launched in 2008.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back