Canon Digital IXUS

Photonic Harmony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm intent on getting myself a compact camera to compliment the SLR kit bag. I've found the Canon IXUS 80 which looks good on paper. Would any of you experienced guys out there have an opinion on which compacts are good, what to watch out for and what to avoid etc?

Thanks in advance.

I've had the SD400 for three years, pretty happy with it, two grunts though:
1. wide zoom isn't wide enough
2. noise images in low light

The IXUS 80 also isn't wide enough if you ask me. SD880 starts from the equivalent of a 28mm lens in full frame sensor world. (the 80 start from 38mm I think.. that really isn't very good)

noise in low light, well i think whatever you'll get from the Canon IXUS series is just as good as it gets with samll sensor digicams, for anthing better than that you'll either have to go to slightly larger and more expensive digicams like the Panasonic Lumix LX3, and you already have an SLR...

IMO, The Canon IXUS/SD series beats all other manufacturers' digicam series. They're sleek, responsive, and have good optical quality.

Sony could have come close, their CyberShots are neet, optically sound, and responsive as well, if only they didn't insist on using non standard memory cards and USB cables. Why? why do you do this Sony? do some people really prefer Memory sticks over SD cards and a $30 cables with propriatary connectors, that will probably take a month to order should you lose one, over $8 standard cable that provides the exact same functionality, and can be bought in less than 10 minutes in any electronics store!?

(The SD880 should start ship any moment, it's the followon to the SD870, which as an excellent compact)

I just picked up the Canon G10 as my carry around compact when I do not want to lug my D40 around. So far, I am very impressed with its functionality and quality. A bit pricey, but I wanted something a bit more than a P&S with RAW capability.

Right, I guess enough folks buy Sonys despite this.

New camera buyers might not know that everything Sony uses is proprietary either. Maybe that's part of their plan - market to first time camera buyers, get them hooked on memory sticks and cords that won't fit anything else. When it's time to upgrade, they will buy Sony again because they already have all this crap they can't use on anything else.

I've had the SD400 for three years, pretty happy with it, two grunts though:
1. wide zoom isn't wide enough
2. noise images in low light

The IXUS 80 also isn't wide enough if you ask me. SD880 starts from the equivalent of a 28mm lens in full frame sensor world. (the 80 start from 38mm I think.. that really isn't very good)

noise in low light, well i think whatever you'll get from the Canon IXUS series is just as good as it gets with samll sensor digicams, for anthing better than that you'll either have to go to slightly larger and more expensive digicams like the Panasonic Lumix LX3, and you already have an SLR...

IMO, The Canon IXUS/SD series beats all other manufacturers' digicam series. They're sleek, responsive, and have good optical quality.

Sony could have come close, their CyberShots are neet, optically sound, and responsive as well, if only they didn't insist on using non standard memory cards and USB cables. Why? why do you do this Sony? do some people really prefer Memory sticks over SD cards and a $30 cables with propriatary connectors, that will probably take a month to order should you lose one, over $8 standard cable that provides the exact same functionality, and can be bought in less than 10 minutes in any electronics store!?

(The SD880 should start ship any moment, it's the followon to the SD870, which as an excellent compact)
Yup, that's right. I've been using my SD880 (it's called IXUS 870 in Europe) for 3 months and so far love it. It may not be able to compete with entry-level DSLR cameras IQ-wise, but it's as good as pocket p&s get. And the new digic4 chip really makes a difference - the cam operates very fast. And the noise on ISO 200-400 is pretty acceptable. And it's got some nice wide lens. And the size. And...

Most reactions

Back