Canon EF 70-200 2.8 L NON-IS Question

EMX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.emxsays.com
A person near me is selling one used. ( a Canon EF 70-200 2.8 L non-is), now i am in the market for a telephoto lens. But I was going to get the Canon 70-200 4L brand new.

My questions are
1) Ok to buy used? I have never done this before and im worried. He has pictures of it and it looks good and he has the original paper work.
2) What would be the going rate for the lens? Remember it is the Non-IS version.

thanks for any input.

in canada the non IS version new goes for about 1200-1300.

find out how long hes/she has had it. handle the lens, make sure its not TOO banged up or anything. mount it on your camera snap off some shots and inspect it later to see if its still sharp. also make sure theres no dust or other debris on any of the elements INSIDE the lens. you can do this by removing the caps off both ends of the lens and look THROUGH the lens into a light or something and just look around inside.

Ive heard great things about that lens if the price is nice id go for it!

I've bought several lenses used, they have been good as new. As mentioned, 'L' lenses are made to last so there shouldn't be an issue if it looks to be in good shape.

On Canon lens, you maybe able to find out how old the lens is by looking up the date code that printed on the bottom of the lens where the lens mount is.

Look up the date code here

If you are able to see the lens before you buy it, you can try it on your camera and see if the lens works good or not.

I asked about buying used lens here before and there were some good advices.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125068

When you see that f2.8 EYE you will no longer want the f/4.. Image stabilization is very nice on that 2.8 lens, but as you know $1,575 and up.

So YES, plink down an extra $300 for that used baby and never look back. BTW, with an excellent condition lens you could probably sell it for what you paid (agreed $900 ish is mrkt). I did that with a 24 -70 L also in the 9 hundy slot.

-Shea

Used lenses are okay! Just make sure to inspect them prior to purchasing and bring your camera body along and shoot with them - try them out.

I bought the Canon f/2.8L 70-200 Telephoto (non IS) and spent like 1100-1200. My favorite lens.. worth every penny. It's a LOT heavier than the f/4 and tends to hurt my arm when I carry it around for weddings.

every one is right the L just cant be undone... i love min IS.. its hard to take a bad shot with one of these..

I bought my 70-200 f/4 used. Take a look closely at the front and rear elements, check that there are no scratches, especially on the rear element. Stick it on your camera and make sure it zooms and focuses well, exchange cash for lens, shake hands, and enjoy your new lens.

Most people who own L glass know how to take good care of them, so it will probablly be a pretty good lens.

well i ended up getting it..

i love it...

this is a test shot i took two days ago, this is way down my street from my front yard...

Titus%20a2_JPG.jpg

but man this lens is heavy!!!

well i ended up getting it..

i love it...

this is a test shot i took two days ago, this is way down my street from my front yard...

but man this lens is heavy!!!

Of course, size is all relative ;)

ART_3183.jpg

^^^^ Of course you break out the 300, lol.

But enjoy the new glass. I bought the Sigma version though, I still love it it but I got a good copy.

Most reactions

Back