Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM OR Tamron SP 70-300 4-5.6 AF VC USD

Pex5P

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I’ve been back and forth between Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM and Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4.0-5.6 AF VC USD for more than a month. Now I'm about to travel so I have to decide very soon but still change my mind every 2nd day.
I’ve pretty much read all the reviews I could find and I’m just wobbling back and forth between these 2…

Unfortunately, I can’t afford Canon’s L version of it, and the 70-200 f4 L was ruled out because a major use would be the tripod-less travel. As I see it, for an aspiring newb, a shaky shot is worse than a softer shot.

The main planned use would be a travel lens and an all-around walking lens together with Sigma 17-50 f 2.8. I won't really use it for sports and wildlife isn't a major focus for me either.

Firstly TAMRON
For me the main pro-s are:
it’s said to be sharper (but test sites like DXOmark disagree)
better build quality, comes with 5yrs warranty
(it’s tiny bit cheaper here.)
Downside: some say it has slowish AF, and that AF is not always accurate, and that it can get fairly inaccurate and hunting when light is low. A misfocused pic is a major annoyance IMO. Finally, I’m slightly afraid of the recent Tamron-Canon incompatibility issues with 7D and 70D so I’m kinda wary of the future. It’s a major expense for me and I would like to use it for a long time.

CANON
Upside: Faster AF (important for quick travel shots), and the guaranteed compatibility with future cameras. Plus my camera has an automatic lens distortion correction option for canon lens.
Downside:slightly lower IQ, worse build quality.

While both received excellent reviews, the conclusion which is better is mixed. Canon was said to be a hidden L lens, and got ravaging reviews for image quality up to 200, but Tamron is said to be even better.
Tamron is of course around 5 yrs newer and many of the praising canon reviews couldn't compare to it.

I know it’s been debated a lot of times, but I just can’t get out of the indecision-swamp :)
Thank you for your help and advice :)

Last edited:
Not sure how many people owned both. I bought the tamron. I was happy with it, well built fast and quiet focus. However I did upgrade to it from the cheap and light 55-250 IS. The tamron was better built, had longer at telephoto end, manual over ride and non rotating focus, but crucially the image quality to my eyes was no better than the cheap Canon lens. I have heard that the Canon 70-300 non L is only ok.

I own the Tamron. Very happy with it. Build quality is good and it delivers pretty sharp images for its price (vastly superior to the Canon 75-300 USM non-IS). It also comes with a hood, not sure if the Canon equivalent does. I don't often have focus hunting issues on the 7D, but it could happen from time to time, especially when shooting fast moving subjects on a uniform background (fast aircraft over drab sky mostly).

The VC of the Tamron is different from the typical Canon IS. The former will "freeze" your subject in the viewfinder while the latter will simple dampen the vibrations and movements while you shoot. Same results, different system. If you can, go and try both lens before buying to see which system you prefer. The Tamron might have the advantage over the Canon being a more recent implementation. I suggest doing some research to see which is rated better.

Finally, I got the Tamron for about 150$ (Canadian) less than the Canon. That sealed the deal right there. Hope this helps!

Tamron 70-300mm VC:
- The build quality is quite good.
- VC is not bad. It works as advertise.
- AF speed is not as good as the Canon Ring type USM, but not bad at all fast and silent. When compare with the EF 70-300mm IS, I do not see much difference.
- Optically is not bad at all. A little soft at 300mm, but decent for the price.
- Out of focus blur looks a little busy when compare with the EF 70-300mm IS lens. The Canon looks much creamer

Canon EF 70-300mm IS:
- Build quality is good, but I like the Tamron better.
- IS is good. But I read that the newer Canon IS is better.
- AF is fast and silent. But not as good as other Canon (my 85mm and 70-200mm f/4 is better)
- Image quality is not bad at all as a consumer grade lens. Even @ 300mm. Out of focus blur is better then the Tamron.
- Front lens element rotate when focus. So if you have a CPL filter, you have to re-adjust the CPL after focus. (Tanron 70-300mm VC lens front lens element do not rotate when focus)

So the only thing I really do not like about the Tamron lens is the out of focus blur and I also do not like the Canon front element rotates when focusing.

But if the cost of the 70-200mm f/4L is withing reach, do consider it. It is nice to have IS/VC, but most of the time I can use it without. And the photo from the 70-200mm f/4L is much sharper than the other 2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back