Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Vs Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L Vs Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L

Hi all
I am planning to buy a lens for General purpose photography (indoor and outdoor) for my canon T1i.
Can one of you suggest a better lens among Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM ,Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L and Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L.
Thanks Guys
If it were me, I would get the 17-55mm f2.8 I can never get back far enough so I really need that wide angle and a 17mm on your camera is 28mm on a 135. and 55 is like 88 on a 135, great for portraits and everything in between.

Hi, the 15-85is lens is fantastic and covers a beautiful range.

For what it's worth, I had both the 24-70 and 24-105.

Using the 24-70 with my 60D and 580 EX ii on it at an (ex-) family wedding, it just got to be too heavy for this 64 year old body. A similarly long, indoor, standing-only event I shot 2 weeks later with my 24-105 instead of the 24-70 came out just as good, in my estimation, and not the weight. I sold the 24-70 as a result of those two events. Canon claims the IS is a couple of stops. So, other than f2.8 bokeh on the 24-70, I didn't lose a thing. When I want bokeh, I mount the 135 f2 L.

I've gone to all L glass with the exception of my 85mm in the expectation I'll be moving from the 60D to full frame soon...like next years' tax refund. If you have any similar plans, you may want to rethink getting any EF-S lenses that can only be mounted on crop bodies.

I think it all really depends on what you mostly shoot. Shooting in small college dorms, my 24mm wasn't wide enough on a crop. And sometimes shooting architecture and landscapes I was wishing I had wider angle. But if you don't shoot things like that, 24-105 is just perfect

bratkinson said:
For what it's worth, I had both the 24-70 and 24-105.

Using the 24-70 with my 60D and 580 EX ii on it at an (ex-) family wedding, it just got to be too heavy for this 64 year old body. A similarly long, indoor, standing-only event I shot 2 weeks later with my 24-105 instead of the 24-70 came out just as good, in my estimation, and not the weight. I sold the 24-70 as a result of those two events. Canon claims the IS is a couple of stops. So, other than f2.8 bokeh on the 24-70, I didn't lose a thing. When I want bokeh, I mount the 135 f2 L.

I've gone to all L glass with the exception of my 85mm in the expectation I'll be moving from the 60D to full frame soon...like next years' tax refund. If you have any similar plans, you may want to rethink getting any EF-S lenses that can only be mounted on crop bodies.

That IS doesn't do you any good with a moving subject, so unless you're shooting the world's most boring wedding, you lost a lot more than bokeh by going from f/2.8 to f/4. Not saying that the 24-105 isn't better for your needs, but IS does not make up for lack of speed in a lens.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Personally. I wanted that nice red ring. Weather sealing. All that good stuff. But I went to the shop. Tried out both lenses and I decided on the 17-55. I like the focal length better plus it has 2.8 which is important to me. It's not weather sealed but meh. It has L glass in it.

Hi all
I am planning to buy a lens for General purpose photography (indoor and outdoor) for my canon T1i.
Can one of you suggest a better lens among Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM ,Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L and Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L.
Thanks Guys

No doubt, EF 24-70mm f2.8L is best among these lenses . It has excellent optics (L) with wider aperture f2.8 . Except this, both lenses are excellent . There are no option available for cameras having APSC sensor. You have to choose keeping crop factor (APSC sensor of T1i ) in mind.

.... Mayank (India)

Last edited:
Got to a photography shop and try them out on your body and see which one suits your needs. Each has advantages and drawback. You need to decide which combination meets your needs.

I had to like this, a Michio Kaku fan!!! You're not alone.

Cheers!

The lens choices really depend on what, and how you shoot. For the things I usually shoot (outside, at middle to moderate distances), the 24-105mm lens on my T1i is the go-to lens. For situations that require a wider view, I have the 10-22mm Canon, and for things further away, I have the 70-200mm f/4. I don't like heavy lenses, and if I have low-light situations, I use either flash or tripod (depending on the subject distance and location). But that's me. I went through a number of lens combinations before I ended up with this set.

I have the 17-55mm and adore it, though it will be sad not to be able to use it when I upgrade to a full frame...though I plan on keeping it on my 60d as a back-up camera and lens once I switch. I recommend renting each of the lenses and testing them out. I had planned on buying the 24-70 but rented the lenses first and changed my mind.

humm .... The last response from OP in this thread was dated 05-30-2011. And that was also the last post she post in this forum. I believe she was long gone.

24-105 is very nice but it lacks wide angle on crop body thats why i bought 10-22 lately :D.
Zoom range is more then enough for me unless you shoot wildlife it should be ok.
generally try all the lenses you can
check what length you shoot the most (in my case 10-22 was obvious choice 50+% was shoot in 24-35mm range)
you can go 17-55 (70-200 f4)
or 10-22 24-105
15-85 (70-200 f4)

also consider weight 24-105 is heaviest from those mentioned i think

humm .... The last response from OP in this thread was dated 05-30-2011. And that was also the last post she post in this forum. I believe she was long gone.

Yeah, but we can pretend she's still around, no? :lol:

Hi all
Thanks Guys

No doubt, EF 24-70mm f2.8L is best among these lenses . It has excellent optics (L) with wider aperture f2.8 . Except this, both lenses are excellent . There are no option available for cameras having APSC sensor. You have to choose keeping crop factor (APSC sensor of T1i ) in mind.

.... Mayank (India)

Hmm the 24-70 old version is for me personally not the best option. Depends on the copy you have. For me on crop the 17-55 is the better option. IQ wise it is very good. I found it better in most situations then the 24-105 and also then the old 24-70 I !!
I use now the 24-70 II on a Full Frame body and now I say this is the better option, but for an crop body I still would choose the 17-55 :D

Either of the 2.8s.
I have a mk1 24-70. Metal body and half the price of the new one...I'll be keeping it. It never leaves my camera as it is. At least not until my 50 1.2 arrives. :p

Most reactions

Back