Canon EF-s 17-85mm IS USM and Canon EF-28-135mm IS USM Lenses

mr.mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon EF-s 17-85mm lens on my EOS 20D and a Canon EF - 28-135mm lens on my EOS 5D Classic. I'm thinking about eliminating one of the lenses. Which would be the best to sell? Also, what would be the best choice of replacement?
Thanks for your responses

Last edited:
I have a Canon EF-s 17-85mm lens on my EOS 20D and a Canon EF - 28-135mm lens on my EOS 5D Classic. I'm thinking about eliminating one of the lenses. Which would be the best to sell? Also, what would be the best choice of replacement?
I suggest you sell the lens you don't want to keep, and replace it with one that you would want to keep.

I suggest you sell the lens you don't want to keep, and replace it with one that you would want to keep.
Thank you for your honest response. Guess I'll have to decide which rig will best suite my needs.

Thank you for your honest response. Guess I'll have to decide which rig will best suite my needs.
Yep. Even if you had been more detailed, the best advice any of us could offer would be based on what we've experienced or read, and may or may not be best for you. It would interest many of us, though, to know what you're photographing and what lenses you decide upon.

Yep. Even if you had been more detailed, the best advice any of us could offer would be based on what we've experienced or read, and may or may not be best for you. It would interest many of us, though, to know what you're photographing and what lenses you decide upon.
Mostly landscapes. Since retiring, I've been collecting an eclectic array of old film cameras and lenses. But to be honest, I'm not very savvy when it comes down to actual photographic skills. I just enjoy snapping away and being able to admire the end result.

Your 3rd option would be to keep what you have and add another lens. There's no rule on the number of lenses you can have. One of the main reasons I've stayed with Pentax is their forward/backward compatibility on glass, that's allowed me to accumulate a nice collection.

Your 3rd option would be to keep what you have and add another lens. There's no rule on the number of lenses you can have. One of the main reasons I've stayed with Pentax is their forward/backward compatibility on glass, that's allowed me to accumulate a nice collection.
I like your suggestion. I believe I'm going to do just that. I'm keeping what I have and now on the lookout for more toys to play with. By the way, I have a pretty nice array of vintage Pentax film cameras and lenses.
Thank you

have a pretty nice array of vintage Pentax film cameras and lenses.
If they're bayonet mount, all you need is a Pentax digital body, and a whole new world just opened up. 😉

That is a problem when you have both APS-C and FF format cameras.
If you really want to trim down, sell one camera, and keep the other. Then you can concentrate on just the format you keep.

That is a problem when you have both APS-C and FF format cameras.
If you really want to trim down, sell one camera, and keep the other. Then you can concentrate on just the format you keep.
I appreciate your response, but I really want to hold on to both cameras. Just made a great deal for a Canon EF-s 55-250mm IS to go with my EOS 50D. Now I'm hunting for a bargain "L" prime lens for my EOS classic. My wife is going to put me out on the street if I keep this up! Oh well, I worked hard all my life and now since retiring, I'm enjoying a new hobby. I've been able to make a few bucks selling off some of my surplus items. Just have trouble deciding what to sell. I truly appreciate all of the suggestions.
Wishing all a very happy holiday season...........................................

Most reactions

New Topics

Back