Canon entry level to Nikon d7000

It's not that I say the D7000 is an entry level camera, it's that NIKON says it's an entry-level camera based on their camera numbering system.

At the same time, it has a top LCD which has been reserved for their mid-level bodies. It also has more features and better performance than its predecessor the D90, which was also a mid-level body. Interestingly, all of their new entry-level bodies are numbered D#100 and the D7000 is not.
shrug.gif

mjhoward said:
At the same time, it has a top LCD which has been reserved for their mid-level bodies. It also has more features and better performance than its predecessor the D90, which was also a mid-level body. Interestingly, all of their new entry-level bodies are numbered D#100 and the D7000 is not.

If you want to be more specific, there are entry level, mid-level/prosumer, semi-pro, and professional cameras.
For some people, mid-level is still an entry level, and semi-pro is considered a pro.

Nikon has 2 tiers in their entry-level lineup.

The compacts w/o an auto focus motor/screw drive system, whose size is designed specifically to appeal to women - D3000/D3100/D5000/D5100 - and the 2 non-compacts that do have an auto focus motor/screw drive system - D90/D7000.

The 7000 is the lowest body on the nps list

I just got my 7000 kit 2 days ago. I'm starting to get a hang of it but it's still a little intimidating for my first dslr. I'm combing over the manual frequently and trying to play with the setting as much as possible. I keep repeating to myself...ISO... aperture...focus...(not in that particular order btw). I have a 50mm f/1.8D AF and MB-D11 on the way. I think the D7000 is the good way to go.

I hate to break it to you, but the Nikon D7000 is also an entry-level camera. But, it is Nikon's best entry-level camera like the Canon 60D is Canon's best entry-level camera.

By the way, the D7000's performance blows the Canon 60D out of the water. DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
Yeah, I argued that point too. However it has to be the most professional featured entry level camera on the market today. Double card, etc. etc. The only place I think it lacks as far as professional features is in its auto focus system. However, it's auto focus is better than some "professional" cameras.

Hi, I also have a Canon and want to switch to Nikon. The d7000 seems to be a nice switch. However, I do shoot weddings and am concerned with the statement entry level. On many key points, the camera seems to be better than entry level. Any opionions on a camera to switch to...

Hi, I also have a Canon and want to switch to Nikon. The d7000 seems to be a nice switch. However, I do shoot weddings and am concerned with the statement entry level. On many key points, the camera seems to be better than entry level. Any opionions on a camera to switch to...
When you say you "have a Canon" I am assuming it is a crop sensor format and not a full frame. Switching to a D7000 should pose no problems for your already established techniques. Most professionals I know go full frame because they are coming from 135 film format (35mm). They have already fine tuned their techniques around 135 lens DoF and don't want to have to re-learn a whole new set of lenses and their properties. If you were to go full frame, you would be in the same position of having to relearn some of your technique.

I have a long time friend who shoots Weddings. He has been shooting them for 30 years and did so with a RB67and did his own processing!! I've seen tons of his work and it is gorgeous. He recently retired all of his film equipment and went all digital. He is using a D7000 with the battery grip, a SB900, and a rotating flash bracket. He is very happy with it. As for the "statement of entry level". With the battery pack attached, it looks as professional as anyother camera.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-m...6G2OU/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As a professional photographer I dream about cameras, and not just because of the pictures. It is the cameras themselves that inspire me, wondering how they could be used to capture the best spectacular shot. Nikon cameras are good and even great cameras, but Leica cameras… they are what I dream about to reach for and enjoy in all their glory, as the all-time best of cameras. Here are my ten reasons to dump your Nikon and buy a Leica! Check it out on my blog, I hope it will be helpful for you 10 Reasons to Dump Your Nikon and Buy a Leica

Artash

I'm sorry to disagree here and this will be no doubt be a controversial opinion,

Leica are not in anyway better than Nikon in the modern day, in some areas Leica are completely stuck in the dark ages and also how does the technology they use match Nikons. Don't get me wrong Leica is a brand with an incredible legacy, but in the current day I think their pricing scheme is laughable and in my honest opinion people buy Leica nowadays due to the brand name more than anything else.. They offer little to nothing over competitors in terms of lenses or camera bodies... I mean even the M9 with its full frame sensor has poor noise control and has dreadful colour rendition and thats according to a Leica fanboy Ken rockwell.

So.. in my opinion as wonderful as Leica are in some respects, the stupid prices they charge for outdated technology makes me question the integrity of the company as a whole.

and the price differential?

I love Zeiss lenses but I can't conceive of the cost of replacing my D700 and old-ring lenses with Zeiss lenses, even if the bodies were equivalent.

I love cameras but I dream about pictures.

That's all well and good but you are preaching to the choir on this, the Nikon page. Now post this on the Canon page and see what type of responses you get lol.....

As a professional photographer I dream about cameras, and not just because of the pictures. It is the cameras themselves that inspire me, wondering how they could be used to capture the best spectacular shot. Nikon cameras are good and even great cameras, but Leica cameras… they are what I dream about to reach for and enjoy in all their glory, as the all-time best of cameras. Here are my ten reasons to dump your Nikon and buy a Leica! Check it out on my blog, I hope it will be helpful for you 10 Reasons to Dump Your Nikon and Buy a Leica

Artash
I have often found that Dreaming about something is a lot better than actually having it. Back in the day I thought I wanted a Hasselblad 500CM. When I actually got one I ended up having 2 good days with it. 1) the day I bought it and 2) the day I sold it. lol..............
I would have a lot more respect for Leica if they would embrace modern technology a little more. Sooner or later they will go the way of Kodak....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back