Canon EOS 1000F (Rebel in US)

Pkboi24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a problem with the shutter and flash of my Canon EOS 1000F. This is a very old camera. Came out in 1990. I believe it is the first of the rebel series. It was known as 1000F internationally. As Hanno pointed out to me in the previous thread, my silicon bag ruptured. This camera suits all my needs as a beginner. The repair bill I'm sure will be less than the price of a new camera, I'm looking at the Canon Rebel T2.

Should I repair this old camera or splurge for a new one with more features, faster shutter speed, and newer gears?

Just wanted a few suggestions. Throw me your two cents.

--Pkboi24

My opinion would be to just get a new camera. Rebels are good entry level cameras but they just aren't made to last forever. It would probably work great once it is repaired and gets a CLR (Clean, lube & adjust)...but for the cost of that, you could get a new camera.

I would agree that a new camera is a better option. Canon cameras are great while they are working properly but when they go wrong, then it's time to start looking for a change. Anyway the 1000F has served it's time as it is an old camera, particularly by today's standard. Also repair costs are massive and you would be charged half the price of the initial cost of the camera just to have someone look at it.

After 15 years I'd say it's time for a new one. There are plenty of great film SLRs out there that would cost just as much, or nearly so, as the reparis.

I have a EOS 1000fn and it's still going strong .... also have a EOS 10 that need a bit of work on it (sticky shutter).

Eventually I will get it reparied as it's done me well over the years but I am leaning towards getting a DSLR at somepoint.

you can pick up a 1000 or 10 for as little as £30 on ebay. But I think a newer model may be your best move.

Good luck with the chice and look around ... there are some great deals out there.

Most reactions

Back