Canon EOS 40D vs 50D. Help me making up my mind!

Hobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK! I will probably get a new camera body around new year and I have been reading a few reviews and posts regarding the quite new EOS 50D. Is it true that the higher ISO performance of that camera is only equal or worse than 40D (according to Dpreview)? I am into landscape and nature photography and I know FF bodies would be perfect for that but I do not want to and cannot wait another two months to save for a 5D. So I would be grateful if some of you guys who have used both the 40D and 50D could tell me if it is really worth investing the extra 400 something dollars to get the 50D. Thanks in advance ;)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

I would go for the Canon 40d.
In some cases the 50d doesn't perform as well as the 40d as far as image quality. Read the conclusion to the link above and decide for yourself.

I have already read that review :p but thanks for posting the link though :)
I just want to know what those of them on here who have used both cameras think

It appears to me that they are virtually identical except resolution, and the 50D has a few more in-camera processing options, and AF adjustment. The price difference in bodies at B & H is about $250. Tough call. The guys at DXO claim extra resolution does result in less noise in the same sized prints even if it appears noisier at 100% mag.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en...180|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...de&cameras=canon_eos40d,canon_eos50d&show=all

That's also what I have read, that at the pixel level the 50D is slightly noisier, but because of the extra resolution prints are actually a little better than the 40D.

Well I am not going to print huge posters or something like that. Maybe just a few smaller like 4x6 or similar. Well I doubt I will be able to buy any camera online since I live in Canada right now and my VISA is Swedish and those stupid online stores don't accept foreign credit cards for some reason so I have to go to a camera store near where I live. It seems to be a tough one lol a lot harder than I had to choose between 40D and 450D earlier this year.

Hobbes,

I have the same dilemma. If I can find a good deal on a used 40D I'm gonna go for that. Where are you located in Canada?

I am currently living in Regina, Sk. Well there is actually a nice camera store only two blocks from where I live, its called Don's photo and they have an online store as well, the 40D cost a lil bit over 1000 bucks there including gst and pst and crap and I think the 50D cost around 400 bucks more. Well I don't think I want to buy a used 40D but maybe I will get a used XTI or film EOS in the future as a backup :)

i have owned them both and i hate the 40D compared to the 50D. the 50D sensor has been completely revamped. although a good camera, the 40d doesn't hold up to the 50D. not to mention, the 50D has 15.1 mp. i dumped the two 40Ds i hate, which, i hated even before the 50D came around.

Most reactions

Back