New too forum. Need help with camera choice

Garra661

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So a little background about me.

I’m not completely new too photography. I used too have a t4i years ago. Because I was into macro photography and animal photography. I have since sold that camera and looking too upgrade.

I’m between the
Sony a6100/a6400 vs cabin EOS RP

I primarily would be taking photos of pets. Wildlife. Landscape. Use it as a webcam.
Some action shots (of animals). Macro.
And Maybe some selfie’s/portraits.

What are your guys opinions on the 2 cameras? And which do you think I should get, and why?

This is going to be an opinion based answer thread.

Both cameras will do just fine for what you want, as will almost all other modern cameras. For me I could never buy a camera/lens without holding it and testing it a bit. Specs mean nothing if it feels wrong in the hand.

I second getting your hands them first. Visit an old school camera store and fire off some shots, change lens, etc.

To do all of what you’re looking for it’s the lens selections that will make the difference (and break the bank).

Hello and welcome, good luck whatever camera you choose.....

Welcome aboard. As Zombiesniper said, it's hard to make a good decision without actually holding the camera and lens. Most cameras within the same price range will have the same features, but the controls will differ. That's where holding it comes into play.

Good luck.

That's a tough one. Here's my thoughts: though my own personal bias are probably showing so take it with a good pinch of salt.

Personally I don't really like the RP, the EVF is pretty terrible, and it's a bit slow for action at 5fps. But is is full frame, and there's a better lens choice than the Sony. I do like the Sony more, it does have faster fps, but it has a smaller sensor and is a smaller camera.

For some reason I wouldn't consider the A6400 a primary camera system, but I've fancied getting an older model of this camera as a second system myself.

Either are decent cameras, I think the Sony is more attractive proposition as a camera, but Canon's probably got a better ecosystem and upgrade paths.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure either will serve you well, kind of like the difference between a Ford and Chevrolet.

Most reactions

Back