Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D) or Olympus Evolt E410?

nnzeiger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new, so I'm just learning the ropes of this place, so bear with me.
I have limited to DSLR experience - I've worked with my point and shoot for three years and for a $150 Kodak it took great pictures - but I need a more sophisticated camera, and because I've messed around with family & friends DSLR cameras (and bestbuy's too, lol) I've found I like Canons the best, but have never tried out a Olympus...

I have an uncle who has an XT and he loves it and gets great pictures (found one used for $300!), but I can't find any reviews on the E410 except for DP review's... so I was wondering what you all think. :D thanks!

Personally speaking, I would not buy a Olympus. No disrespect to anyone.. I'm not saying that Olympus is no good but if you want a camera system that you can not grow out of I would pick Canon or Nikon or maybe even Pentex, but the jury's still out on that last one.. With both Canon or Nikon you will have a endless amount of lenses and accessories available to you..Plus that 4/3 sensor is on the smaller side for a DSLR.
File:Sensor sizes overlaid inside.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you don't plan on going pro you might want to think about the Pentex line.. You can use just about ANY Pentex lens on them as well as a few other brands and you also get in camera Image Stabilization so you have IS and VR at no extra cost :)
and to top it of you can buy Pentex on the cheap..

Personally speaking, I would not buy a Olympus. No disrespect to anyone.. I'm not saying that Olympus is no good but if you want a camera system that you can not grow out of I would pick Canon or Nikon or maybe even Pentex..

No disrespect taken.

I think we need to remember that if we take a cross section of brands in the same price range you will find similar image qualities.

I originally purchased my E-510 because it was the first with live view, built in image stabilization, built in sensor cleaning, a full range of digital lenses and the ability to shoot manual with the older 35mm lenses.

Now the majority of the other brands new models have these features.

So after deciding which features are the most important to you it comes down to how does it feel in your hand.

I've always had a undeniable curiousity about Nikon and visited the local shop recently.

I handled the D300, D90 and E-30.

I don't care for video in a still camera so that eliminates the D90 :sexywink:

When I considered the addition size of the D300 and their equivalent lens sizes compared to my Olympus line up I was finally able to conclude my next upgrade will be to a E-30.

Sure, I would like better high iso/noise performance but I don't normally shoot in low light conditions.

All I can recommend is you research the various brands features, their lens options/cost and how it feels.

Then make your decision.

Cheers, Don

The 350D just has the basic lens, I'd probably get a wide angle fisheye (f/2.8) and a 75 - 200m (around f/4) with it too.

I can't find many lenses for the E410 except macro telephoto lenses or 75 - 200mm manual focus (not something I really want to deal with), and I don't want to mess around with adapters and such...

I just need a good macro, sports / action, and good scenery camera. Don't need 12mp+ and features galore but would like a decent shutter speed and good pic quality.

*macro, not fisheye

The 350D was my first DSLR as well it's great at learning the concept of exposure. I can't speak for the Olympus but for $300 for a 350D is a good deal (should include the lens).

Most reactions

Back