What's new

Canon ES40 v Nikon D5000 Lense Question

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
1,391
Reaction score
66
Location
England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all.

I'm interested in some information, I recently bought a Nikon D5000 to go with my Canon ES40, I've got a crummy Tamron lenses that is pretty useless. I've been given some money to spend on a decent lenses for my Gap Year next year, I'm looking at doing a-lot of wildlife photography and sports, so anything 400+ is a must, large aperture is also.

I'm wondering what would be best, buying the Nikon 200-400 for the D5000 or buying a Sigma lenses, and if anyone knows any decent suppliers in the UK.

If anyone has some names of lenses I can look up, that would be fantastic.
 
The nikon 200-400 f/4 is an incredible lens! if you can afford it then by all means that is the lens to have!
 
Field sports (day? night? both?) or indoor sports?

Field, I suppose. I might go to a NBA game whilst in America, but I think its mainly gonna be outdoor. I'm a big rowing fan and do a-lot of that with my Tamron.

The nikon 200-400 f/4 is an incredible lens! if you can afford it then by all means that is the lens to have!

Nikon 200-400mm VR

Is that the one you are talking about?

Is the D5000 a decent enough camera to produce some nice photos?
 
Nikon 200-400mm VR

Is that the one you are talking about?

Is the D5000 a decent enough camera to produce some nice photos?

Yea thats the lens, the camera should do great, if the lens is compatible with it, which i think it is, but look it up on the nikon website!!! I've had the pleasure of using that lens for a day and it is an amazing piece of glass, its big and heavy and produces amazing shots!
 
Field sports (day? night? both?) or indoor sports?

Field, I suppose. I might go to a NBA game whilst in America, but I think its mainly gonna be outdoor. I'm a big rowing fan and do a-lot of that with my Tamron.

The nikon 200-400 f/4 is an incredible lens! if you can afford it then by all means that is the lens to have!

Nikon 200-400mm VR

Is that the one you are talking about?

Is the D5000 a decent enough camera to produce some nice photos?
Then the Nikon 200-400 f/4 will work just fine. You may not get in to see an NBA game with it, unless you have press credentials. At f/4 indoors, it will be a bit slow on a D5000. You'll have to accept the high ISO noise to get shutter speed, and hope to clean it up in post with a good de-noise application like Imagenomics Noiseware Pro.
 
Thank you very much you both have been fantastically useful.

So a Nikon 200-400 MM F4 is what I'm gonna get then. That is once I've sold the house :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom