What's new

Canon FD 35mm f2 Lens With T2i???

Yuma

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so here's the story. I recently mistook a Canon FD 35mm Lens for the EOS series 35mm lens. A rookie mistake I know and boy do I feel dumb. Anyway I am all about making lemonade when I am given lemons I am wondering if there is a functional way to make the Canon FD 35mm f2 lens with the Canon T2i. I have been hearing mixed reviews on the converter.

Does anyone know a worthwhile way to make this great lens work with my camera?
 
Ya, since the mount is different, you would need a converter. There are two types, one with a lens element and one that's just an adapter ring. The problem with the adapter ring, is that because it moves the lens farther away from the camera, you loose infinity focus....not very practical.
The ones with the lens are made to give you infinity focus, but then your image quality is reliant on the quality of the adapter lens...and most of them are pretty crappy...and the good ones are rather expensive.
On top of that, you wouldn't be able to autofocus (obviously) and I don't think auto metering would work either.

In other words, it's not really worth the hassle unless you have a really good FD lens.

Your best bet to salvage some use out of that lens, would be to go get a camera like an AE-1 and run some film through it.
 
Ya, since the mount is different, you would need a converter. There are two types, one with a lens element and one that's just an adapter ring. The problem with the adapter ring, is that because it moves the lens farther away from the camera, you loose infinity focus....not very practical.
The ones with the lens are made to give you infinity focus, but then your image quality is reliant on the quality of the adapter lens...and most of them are pretty crappy...and the good ones are rather expensive.
On top of that, you wouldn't be able to autofocus (obviously) and I don't think auto metering would work either.

In other words, it's not really worth the hassle unless you have a really good FD lens.

Your best bet to salvage some use out of that lens, would be to go get a camera like an AE-1 and run some film through it.

I think I will just return it instead of buying a new camera as neat as that would be. Thanks for your input it was extremely helpful and since you are a professional portrait photographer I am definitely inclined to believe you.

As a portrait photographer do you know of any lenses that are good for portrait photography that don't cost more than 500? I would prefer image stabalization and I know it is not likely that I will find a worthwhile lens in that price bracket but I have a series of shoots coming up soon and I don't want to keep using this kit lens for everything.
 
I run a Nikon adapter on my EOS and haven't had any issues......my 50 1.8 Ai shoots like an 85 2.8 with the crop sensor. All my portraits have come out stellar on that lens.
 
As a portrait photographer do you know of any lenses that are good for portrait photography that don't cost more than 500? I would prefer image stabalization and I know it is not likely that I will find a worthwhile lens in that price bracket but I have a series of shoots coming up soon and I don't want to keep using this kit lens for everything.
The best 'bang for your buck', when it comes to lenses, is usually found with prime (non zoom) lenses. One reason is that the design doesn't have to be compromised for the zoom, it's optimized for the one focal length of the lens. Another reason is that prime lenses usually have a larger maximum aperture. A larger aperture gives you the ability to get a faster shutter speed, which can mean sharper shots. Plus, a larger aperture will give you a shallower DOF, which is often a nice effect for portraits.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a stabilized lens, not for portraits anyway. While stabilization is a great feature, it can only help with blur from camera shake, it cannot help to fight blur from subject movement...therefore, it's not nearly as effective for shooting people as it is for shooting static subjects.

So my suggestions for you...How about the Canon 85mm F1.8 or the 50mm F1.4. They are each around $350 US and are both very good lenses. Typically, you want a longer lens for portraits, so the 85mm would be my choice, as long as you aren't trying to shoot in a tight space like a small studio.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom