Canon ftb ql cracked mirror

morphosis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I just recently found my fathers old canon ftb ql. As I was changing the lens I realized that the mirror inside was cracked. Any suggestions as to where or how I could have it replaced????

Doh! :Slaps forehead - - A camera repair shop?

I wonder wtf a "ftb ql" is.......But, I'm not surprised it was made by "canon" [sic] whatever it is. :lmao:

On what part of plant Earth, is Lagrangeville.

Wasn't looking for the obvious solution since it would cost 170 dollars. The camera is 37 yrs old, and has sentimental value since it belonged to my father. Guess I need to be
C L E A R E R with the information posted. Was hoping someone who knew something about the camera would respond. Not someone with to much time on there hands.

Last edited:
I would think it would be easiest to either take it somewhere, or to find a guide (I tried and couldn't find one) on how to replace an SLR mirror. If Canon used the same mirror in that as their other 35mm SLRs, you might be able to find a cheap and beat up camera on craigslist or on ebay and use it for parts.

I wouldn't bother unless you plan on using it though, since a broken mirror doesn't affect the sentimental value, rather the ability to take photos.

I have a couple of the FTb QLs and they are a good camera considering when they were made. They're a fun, easy camera to use even though by today's standards they're pretty bare bones.

As far as the mirror is concerned, your best bet is to get it professionally replaced. It may cost you the $170 but you'll have a camera that you'll have no fear in using and that'll most likely be quite reliable for a long time to come. In your neck of the woods, try giving KEH an e-mail as I understand they have a pretty good service dept. and they'd most likely service your camera along with replacing the mirror. Another alternative is to send your FTb to Canon. I did that when a couple shutter boxes wore out on a couple early TXs.
If the mirror pieces are still tight in the tray and not missing any glass, you could still possibly use the camera if the crack isn't in the center of the mirror. My big concern would be the mirror coming apart and getting in the shutter curtain or other mechanisms and causing a lot more damage. It would only take a sliver of glass in the wrong place to ruin the FTb. If the FTb has been sitting for a long time, it would most likely need some servicing before you use it anyways.

After I started getting serious about photography, I pulled my late Dad's cameras out of retirement and had them overhauled and/or serviced. I get a special feeling when I use his 620 film camera gear that makes the cost of the work worth every last cent.

Best of luck with your Dad's Canon.
Ernie

Most reactions

Back