canon g7x mark ii vs lumumix lx10

denada

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
which do i want?

while i prefer the final product of film over digital, i believe a digital would help me as i improve my vision and technique. i won't hear a cash register instead of the shutter, i'll be able to see my results same day, and i figure it helps like playing the electric guitar improves your acoustic ability and vice versa.

this is for taking photos as i walk through the city and my other daily environments. the most common subjects will likely be buildings and people.

i imagine the answer is close to "potayto-potahto"? don't care about video. also open to other front-pocket-sized cameras in a similar price range. it seems like most of the others are just more zoom, while i doubt i'll do much shooting past a 50mm equivalent focal length.

*lumix

Last edited:
1418406319000_1080889.jpg

Fujifilm X100T
APS-C with a fixed 23mm (35mm equivalent)
It will fit in a coat pocket, not a pant pocket.

Having the same problem. I've been starting to think about replacing my existing compact. I'm leaning toward the G7 because of that physical EC dial on the top and the slightly longer zoom reach, but I sure do like the LX10's f/1.4 max aperture and that physical f/stop ring. Then there's the Canon G9 which is smaller -- I like smaller.

Joe

The Canon G7x Mark II looks very nice. I handled the earlier 10-MP version a couple years back and looked at it at Best Buy, and I liked the top mounted dial. The current Mark II version has a very wide-aperture f/1.8~2.8 zoom lens, which is very fast for a compact camera. I think it would likely be my choice, but I've been a Canon G-series owner off and on for over a decade now. I cuurently have an "old" G model, but it's different than this newer model.

I dunno...I would really urge you to go to a store and check both cameras out in your own two hands.

FYI. I Looked at the g7 but ended up with the G1x MkII. A bit more expensive, with less MP but a larger sensor. I am quire happy with it for a take along camera. I added a 270ex for a small, more powerful flash unit.

Actually I added two as I also use them for using on my macro bracket.

appreciate the replies.

yes, that x100 line caught my attention. fitting into my front pocket was a must for this foray.

i bought a gx7 ii. walked in and the sales girl asked how many rolls i was dropping off. quite surprised when i told her why i was there. first camera i've ever bought new. first (non-polaroid) autofocus camera i've ever bought. first zoom lens i've ever bought.

they didn't have the lumix. another customer saw me looking at the gx7 ii and said it was the greatest camera he's ever owned. started talking about it and after a few minutes i was sold. did not want to spend much time shopping for a digital camera.

i did look at, hold, and consider g1 x ii for its sensor size. also played with the gx9 ii and whatever the latest g5 is. g9 was missing a tilting screen, which i think will be nice especially given the lack of viewfinder. g5 was too big and didn't offer much more than the g7 other than the viewfinder.

while i did not get to compare the feel of the lumix, the gx7 ii has great ergonomics. my only complaint about the exterior design is that the pieces that protect the lens do not seal very firmly. like they might be pushed open in your pocket. photos suggest the lumix lens cover is the same. will have to figure that out.

of course will let you know what i think after playing with it for a bit, Ysarex. though my closest comparisons are going to be the xa in ergonomics and the fg in function.

do i need to get a press-on cover for this screen? went into the store with that question and left without asking.

didn't come with a cord and wifi is not compatible with latest mac os. at least i think that's what this is saying. i read so many reviews. i must be confused because how would that not be mentioned.

past midnight so giving up for now. easier to get photos off a roll of film.

figured it out. kinda. can download them to my phone. then from my phone to my computer.

Last edited:
Yes, from reading that thread, it seems that Canon cannot support Mac OS Sierra or El Capitan versions....wow, incredibly lame!

Still, I feel that a hard-wired card reader transfer to my Mac in the best way to transfer files. Still, it sucks that Canon cannot support a more-than-a-year-old Mac OS variant.

thread's not lying either. won't connect. i'm pretty sure i've got a bunch of those cords and card readers at the office.

i'm not sure how quickly it works out and about with bluetooth, but if i can transfer a memory card worth of photos to my phone while having a cup of coffee and then start shooting again, at least the feature does something.

WiFi to my Mac is slow when transferring photos from my phone (Android phone). Still, it does work. But none of my other cameras has WiFi, so I use a card reader.

I am really happy that you've now got a compact digital camera! It will save money over film and developing film. You'll soon have your routine down, I know it.

thanks, Derrel! it's quite novel and i am excited.

heads up for Ysarex and anyone else shopping, you cannot transfer raw files using the phone app. it's like software developed by a car manufacturer. they jumped the gun on no cd player / camera cord.

weird feature anyway. the combo of the phone connectivity plus in-camera editing feels like something created for the press that was given to all cameras because why not. one useful thing the phone connectivity can do is remotely adjust focus, focal length, aperture, film speed, shutter speed, and fire the shutter.

also, it's a tight front-pocket fit. looks like you dip. it does just barely fit in my front pocket, which means it will make it out the door.

Last edited:
I have the same "issue" with my Oly EM1. Only transfers JPG files. I'm ok with that.

I'm not sure of how many people would actually edit RAW photos on their phone. If you're going for speed, you'd probably just shoot in JPG, no?

I guess there's some portion of the market that might want/edit RAW on their phone (if that's possible with current apps)? Is it enough for them to actually put the feature in there?

BTW, congrats on the new camera! :smile:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back