Canon L Grand Slam

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since we have a fight over the Holy Trinity. I thought I would just throw out this.

My L series Grand Slam

24-70 f/2.8L, 100-400 L, 70-200 f/2.8L & 400 f/2.8 L

GrandSlam.jpg

Okay, I was bored and this gave me something to do:lol:

Those are just big lenses to compensate for something smaller!!! :lol: j/k Nice collection! :thumbup:

Nice collection, but Canon really needs to update that 100-400 push-pull design, IMO. I don't know what's stopping them. An updated version would sell like the proverbial hotcakes... no?

Nice collection, but Canon really needs to update that 100-400 push-pull design, IMO. I don't know what's stopping them. An updated version would sell like the proverbial hotcakes... no?

It probably would sell quite well. The 100-400 is entering its 13th year of production now, having been introduced in 1998. When they update it, it will probably get the newest IS system that will allow tripod-mounted use with IS on. Canon will probably start updating more lenses as the megapixel wars continue to put added demands on lens resolution. Still, the old 100-400 has been responsible for making a lot of fine photographs.

A lot of people actually prefer that push-pull design. I haven't ever used it myself however.

That 400 2.8 is drool-worthy!

I for one like the push pull design. In a single motion, you can go from 100mm to 400mm. I think there are are a few things I'd like to see improve:

1) Tension ring for the zoom needs a redesign/improvement.
2) Update the IS.. to 4 stops
3) Tripod auto sensing IS
4) Quick release tripod collar to allow quick portrait to landscape positioning.
5) Better bayonet design for the hood. (mind binds occasionally) or even built in sliding hood
6) Improve the optics. There's is some CA. I think there is also improvements to be made for its resolving ability.

I think Canon also needs to re-examine their DO technology. My guess is that there is some potential to improving on some of DO's annoyances but I haven't seen them really move on it.

Overall, its one of my all time favs, even beating out the 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

Nice collection of glass you have there! I've had the opportunity to own most of them at one time or another. The 400 f/2.8 is the one I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time with... I'm very jealous. :p

The 100-400 prolly gets the most use of them all, as it is very flexible to use and easy to carry. I like the push pull also, it makes zooming very fast especially on birds in flight. I call it my stalking lens and the 100-400 zoom really lets you get the hard shots fast.

I wish they would update it also as Usayit mentioned, the tension ring is difficult to keep at a tension you like and stay there. Tripod sensing IS and 4 stops would be wonderful also and make this lens more usefull in low light situations.

My hood is also getting sloppy, the way it mounts wears and gets loose.

If they updated the 100-400 I would prolly snatch one up right away.

WOW! I'm not sure I could even pick up the really big one. So you have to have a special tripod support for a lens that big?

That is crazy! It looks so funny on the camera in relation to the size. I bet that cost a small fortune.

Most reactions

Back