canon lens and camera help

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
need a lightweight body and lenses to go along with it for a travel excursion in the northern scandavian country I will going within a week!
Would love to take beauiful landscapes, wild animals , take sharp images of my self and a friend when trekking around in our backpacks documenting everything we do from eating the new food, to reading maps, to riding bikes, trains, etc.

I was looking into the new canon EOS R5 C Mirrorless Cinema Camera, but that might be overkill. it has a hybrid of video and stills which is really nice. also has the new updated features which is nice. Also lightweight which is why I looked into mirrorless cameras. I like the hold of canon cameras in general due to nice grip.

lens wise I am thinking of just picking up a 35 mm prime lens 1.4 USM 2 (newly released) since it will be sharper with option of bokeh as well as allows for the perfect landscape pic. Sure, it will limit me if I want other pics with variety but with a prime lens it will force me to either move further back or further front to get creative, no?

what do you think?
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 2.11.48 PM.png

I want something in the effect of the above image. or, even better, better than that!

Landscapes and animals are two completely different kinds of shooting. The 35 would be fine for something like your example image, but you won't get anything useful from wildlife photography with it. For that, you need a long lens, which is weight you might not want to carry.

Thank you for the insight. Being up close to wild animal will be daunting I would imagine so always safer with telephoto. However, would having a fixed 35mm lens for video and still hold me back. Is this a good lens to get? what about the suggested camera?

See those trees at the bottom of the valley in your image? That's probably as close as you'd get to wildlife that would let themselves be seen by you. :uncomfortableness:

Several concepts here.

Any time you want a duel use camera you have to factor in the aspects of different focal lengths vs. weight, speed, and desired results.

all around lenses for various cameras are just fine for thins, and there is more than one way to skin a cat as it were.
Faster ISO's vs. lens speed is one way to overcome, but trade offs remain.
A mirrorless has different focal aspects from a 35mm much the same way as 35mm vs. med. format. A ":Standard lens" of 50mm in a 35mm format is the equivalent of an 80mm in Med. or a 38-42 mm in mirrorless APS or M43.

If hiking, the R5 is fine, but remember that concept. So a RF 24-240 mirrorless lens will work as an all around, but is pricy.
If you adapt out to another lens manufacturer, any of the Canon or Nikon line will work. just remember those trade offs though.

Especially manual focusing if you play that game.

Most reactions

Back