Canon Lenses & Nikon D5100

RosalieAndrea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm an owner of a Canon 60D along with a Tamron Macro 60mm f/2, Canon 50mm f/1.8 and a Rokinon 35mm f/1.4
I'm having a hard time what lens I should purchase next. I'd really like something smaller than a 35mm (for indoor use where space is an issue),
and I love apertures below a f/2. Any suggests on a lens I should purchase next? I've been looking at the prime lenses, but they are just too expensive
for a college student like myself who works part time over half the year.

I've also been looking at the Nikon D5100. I've never had a Nikon before, but this one takes really stunning photos, and have been thinking about
giving the Nikon brand a go. What are your thoughts on this? I'm a sucker for swivel LCD screens and their convenience so that's why I chose this one.
Thoughts?

Thank you!

Fast primes are always going to be expensive, whether Canon, Nikon, Pentax or even third-party. Canon has more ultra-fast lenses than Nikon, with several going down to 1.2 (of course if you really want fast you could save up for the Noktilux .95). From the amount you've got invested in Canon glass, it would seem silly to me to switch to Nikon (and I'm a life-long Nikonian). Without knowing what your focus is (pun fully intended) it's hard to say where your next purchase should be, but I do know I'd cry like a baby if I ever lost my 85 1.4!

Noctilux f/0.95...holy sweet jeebus! And only $11,000!

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled topic...just had to google that thing and the reviews...ooooppphhhh.

Tirediron is right, why ditch all that glass and body to just start over again with a different brand, especially considering your current financial situation. At best maybe get a new Canon body and you can keep and use your current lenses.

As mentioned, fast is expensive, and not just primes, but any lens that is fast.

I've never had a Nikon before, but this one takes really stunning photos,
Actually, it's the photographer using the camera, that takes the really stunning photos. I can practically guarantee that you could take equally stunning photos with the camera that you have.

Switching brands (Canon to Nikon, for example) is a very expensive venture because the lenses aren't compatible. So seeing as you're on a student's budget and invested in Canon already...I'd suggest forgetting about Nikon for the time being.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back